Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp And Vista Pcs Sharing Network Printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aw9018

aw9018

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

After getting a new PC with Vista and unsuccessfully attempting to have it share the printer attached to my old PC with XP (the new PC couldn't find the shared printer), I removed the USB connection between the old PC and the printer and connected the printer to the wired router via ethernet connection. The new PC was able to find the printer and print but then the old PC would not print unless I replaced the USB cable leaving me with both connections in place at the same time. I tried adding the printer in the old PC as a network printer and again as a local printer, to no avail. I would much rather have just the one connection to the router and free up the USB port. I'm obviously missing something. I'm also not sure if this problem is more appropriately presented in the forum on networking, but since the Vista machine is using the printer I suspect this is an XP issue. Can anybody shed any light?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

Please give us the Manufacturer and model of the router. We will be able to look for the correct port drivers for this router for WinXP.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

Have you enabled print sharing on the printer?

Sometimes your firewall can stop the computer from finding the network printer. You can disable the firewall on both computers just long enough to see if it is interfering, then all you need to do is configure the firewall to allow the sharing.

I would connect the printer to one of the computers and be sure to enable sharing, you will need to name the printer, then you go to the other computer and add the printer, be sure to have the software for the printer in the cd drive so it can pick up the drivers.

Also be sure you are you using the" \\computer name\printer name" in your search for the printer.

#4 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

Router: Linksys BEFSR41 ver.3 Etherfast Cable/DSL Router with 4 PortSwitch. The printer is allowing sharing. The PC that is not finding the printer is using the windows firewall which in"exceptions" is allowing file and printer sharing. The printer was the local printer in the PC that now cannot find it and if I reconnect the USB cable it can still use it, which I assume means it has the necessary driver.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

Click Start, Control Panel, Printers and Other Hardware, Printers and Faxes, Right Click on the Printer, then Click Properties, Select the PORTS tab, and look in the ports list, underneath description, and see if you have a network port or a printserver port. If you don't, click add port, select the printserver port, click new port, and give it a name. Then you will have to browse to find the network printer address. select, click ok, print the test page.

#6 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:01 AM

In the printer port box I clicked TCP/IP port and "add port", and in the wizard I entered the name shown on the test page printed when the new PC found the printer, consisting of a series of numbers (which assume is the IP address of the printer). Idon't know where else I would have found it. The list of ports now associates the make and model of the printer with the TCP/IP port. The printer now works from the old PC. Thank you very much for your help. I never would have figured it out.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:09 AM

Great to hear that you have the printer working!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users