Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Fails After Use

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TylerMN

TylerMN

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hello all!

alright so this is a wierd problem that i cannot figure out. I have a HP Laptop with intergrated Wireless, and Vista Home Basic

I am connected to the Wireless network at my dorm, and the network status shows that I have an internet connection. Yet after about 24 hours or so, the internet appears to slowly be unable to connect. First i'll try to open a page in IE and it wont connect, then usually my Rhapsody streaming music will fail, and then my AIM application will fail. Its like it slowly progresses.

This has been going on for a few weeks now, sometimes it wont happen at all, other times its daily, the only fix is to restart, i have tried to disconnect, and reconnect to the network, and have checked with my roommates, but they dont have the problem. The whole time this happens the network is connected and sharing internet...any ideas to what the problem might be?

Tyler
"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

One question: Are you having any similar problems with other hardware? I.E. USB, or mouse?

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

Nope, all other functions work, USB mouse and joy stick work fine
"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

Are you using ZoneAlarm Firewall by any chance? If so, try shutting it down and see if the problem still exist. Within the last few weeks, I am getting several calls that people on Wireless, with a Cable provider and ZA installed are having on/off connection issues and download problems. Yet, when ZA is turned off, everything runs fine.

#5 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

Nopem I have Norton, I guess i should say with my programs I dont have them open continuous, but I use to and there is no change in the problem,

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

Have you tried disabling Norton for a short period to see if it may be blocking your connections?

#7 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:45 PM

I'll give it a try, see if it does it again with out it, no chance this is a virus is there?

#8 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

well i feel like an idiot, but i can figure out how to disable that

#9 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:51 PM

Dont even worry about it. I can already tell you that this is hardware failure. I've seen it one too many times.

I would go ahead and buy a new network adaptor.

EDIT: Reason being: norton isnt going to pick and choose when it feels like working.... well.. not in this case anyways. ; P

Edited by WlkingMan, 25 October 2007 - 09:52 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#10 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

would a driver update fix it?

#11 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:03 PM

It may help, the update,this is an integrated wireless, correct? How old is your computer?

I am not sure about the Norton having the same problem, but ZA is chosing when it wants to work for some reason. These people have no problems, then all of a sudden it won't connect. They try it later and it connects again. They disable it and it works fine. One person switched to Comodo and hasn't had a problem in a week.

Does anyone have an adapter you can test before you go and purchase one? Then you will need to disable your integrated wireless.

#12 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

yeah its integrated, probably only 6 mon or so, I could get my hands on one, but its just an annoiance right now, not a big deal, i should really shut my computer down more often.

Just takes so damn long to get my Radar up on the computer! but i'll see if I can get a card to see if it works.

#13 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:13 PM

I would definitely try to update the driver first. That's not very old to have a defective wireless. Not sure that is the problem.

#14 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

Yeah I just checked, I have the most recent ones, but the internet and network in the building is terrible. Before I go and buy a card I'd like to go back home with my computer, and see if there is a difference back then.

Thanks for the help, Ill post If i can get something else to work.

#15 ALLvisualDesigns

ALLvisualDesigns

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hello,

Has anything been resolved with this issue? Because this is the EXACT same problem that I have been facing on and off since I purchased my Gateway 5426E Tower, running with Windows Vista Home. I am at my wits end with trying to find a solution. You're not the only one with this exact same problem, if you are still having this problem (??)

I've researched this issue everywhere possible because no one can come up with a real solution to this problem (other than returning the computer and getting my money back... which is what I will do within the week because I've tried everything else).

Let me know, if you don't mind, if you've found the source of this problem, or if you, too, gave up. I have an idea as to what I need to fix this issue --- but I can't find it anywhere to download it. I'm looking for an internet connection utility OTHER THAN what came with Windows Vista... because Vista is not going through the correct steps in finding and connecting to a secure wirless connection. The utility on my husband's brand new ACER laptop (Vista Home) goes through the correct steps and BINGO it works.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users