Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul67

Paul67

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:20 AM

Please can any body help me !
I have been pulling my hair out for the last 3 months !

I started off with a MOBO that would not connect onto the internet or was just bringing a web page up after 2 mins! i checked the connection on my laptop and this was fine, i then got NTL to ping my mobo and they said thier was an intermitent fault. I firstly suspected drivers or software as the usb port was working fine, so i formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of xp pro, but still no internet. so i got new mobo, same problem! not hardware!
i then decided for a laugh to install win 98 on the first mobo, it works first time on the internet! so i formatted the hard drive again,put XPpro back on with the first mobo and guess what it works!! but still my new mobo wont work, iv'e tryed every thing i can think of and this is the 3rd brand new mobo, someone help me!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

Is this the same mobo that you keep using? Does it have an integrated network card? is it a GigE network card? if so try to force it down to 10 mbps and see if its better

#3 Paul67

Paul67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:52 AM

Thanks for your reply Grinler,
i have had 3 of these brand new motherboards and the fault is the same using an external usb network card and also through the internal network card using the RJ45,i don't think the fault is with the mother board it is something in XP because i had the same fault with another computer running XP and installing Win 98 fixed the problem,

regards, Paul.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:02 PM

I am wondering if its some sort of weird incompatability with xp and this mobo. I would try a new mobo if i was you as unless the adapters are disabled it should work fine

#5 Paul67

Paul67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:32 AM

No i don't think it is the motherboard because i had another computer doing exactly the same until i took windows XP off and put Win 98 on, could it be something in the Bios.

regards, Paul.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:26 PM

Its possible you have the ethernet adapter off in the bio, but i am not sure. I dont think its a XP issue unless there is a driver problem

#7 Paul67

Paul67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:23 AM

Cheer's Grinler,

after trying many options your suggestion seems logical, although the fault is this the same using the RJ45 and i have installed the motherboard drivers for both network and usb ports, it definately seems like a driver conflict somewhere, i havn't put SP2 on yet so wonder what that will do!!

cheers, Paul67

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users