Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Upgrade/bus Question.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zackw

zackw

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

Ive got this motherboard: http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherbo.../Imperial-GLVE/
And I'm trying to put this processor in it: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL67Y

Now when I put the processor in the computer turns on but I get nothing to the monitor and no beeps. I tried updating the BIOS to the newest one I could find but that didn't help. Should this processor work with this mobo? The only thing I can come up with is that the fsb on the mobo is 400 and the bus speed on the processor is 533. I don't know if that is a problem or not though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:34 PM

hm..would have predicted that the cpu would run at a slower speed then advertised?

might thou...i guess one logical way of looking at it is you cant fit 1.3 litres of water into a 1litre bottle?
=)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

Is the processor listed as compatible with the motherboard.. I tried to search and couldn't find a manual on the motherboard. Some boards are picky which processors they will run.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 zackw

zackw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

I remember reading something that said it was but now I cant figure out where that was. Here are the original product specs if that helps at all. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...514&lang=en

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

When installing the processor did you apply new thermal paste?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 zackw

zackw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

yes, i cleaned off all the old paste and applied new.

#7 zackw

zackw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

okay, so this page: http://developer.intel.com/products/chipsets/845gl/index.htm only says that the chipset supports 400 mhz bus, doesnt say anything about 533. I assume this means it just wont work?

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

Are you sure its even the processors fault? Try using different ram , or try one ram stick at a time. Make sure your video card is seated right, has power in it, and the card isn't bad. Is your power supply good? Is the board being grounded out by metal. Make sure the board isn't touching anything metal, and you have the copper standoffs screwed in between the case and motherboard.

Also, if it is the processors fault, its probably the fsb issue. You'd think it would under clock itself, but since it's a bit older it might not.

When I was building a computer, I used a 3.0ghz pentium 4, 800fsb, socket 775. The board had 1066/1333fsb, but I thought it would work out since the board said it supported pentium 4's, and I don't think they ever made pentium 4's with more then 800mhz.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#9 zackw

zackw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:22 PM

well, everything seems to work fine when i use the old 1.8 celeron processor. I guess i left out that i've switched back and forth a couple times whilst i was trying to troubleshoot it.

#10 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

well theres your answer! :thumbsup:
=)

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

Bus speed of the processor only has to do with how fast data moves from the processor to the motherboard. The bus speed of the motherboard is how fast data moves around the motherboard (in greatly simplified terms). MB bus speed will not affect CPU speed in any way. I'd be more inclined to think that the CPU is fried.

#12 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

Was the processor new?
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#13 zackw

zackw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:42 PM

no, unfortunately i wanted to save a couple bucks by getting one used

#14 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:58 PM

Did you get it off ebay? Cuz you might be able to return it or exchange it.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#15 zackw

zackw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

I did get it off of ebay, but the seller specified that it hadn't been tested so i think im s.o.l.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users