Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spam Bots

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Goldwood

Goldwood

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

Greetings Bleeping Computer,

I have a very interesting situation going on here. As I mentioned in my Introduction I am a musician/DJ and I have a MySpace page. I've had a MySpace page since 2005 but back in July my computer was hijacked from a fake video codec download that was posted on MySpace. After I got control of my computer again, I had several cleanings of the registry, etc. and my computer seems to be back to normal, the problem is, after I regained control of my computer I discovered the MySpace account had been deleted. I lost two and a half years of contacts, friends, etc. I started another account with the same name but different e-mail address, that one was quickly deleted. This happened 3 more times then finally I had one that seemed like it was going to last. It lasted for about 2 1/2 months. It was deleted last week. I was able to contact MySpace about this but of course they are not giving me any support or answering any questions I have with any answers that pertain to the questions I've been asking. The only response that made any sense was, "If you are using spam bots your account will be deleted. So I figured out the hijacking most likely embedded a spambot into my account and their spam filters caught it as such. Here's where it gets complicated, I have also started a few accounts for a few bands that I know and quickly turned over access to them. All I did was get the account started for them. One of those friends, I recently discovered, has some kind of "friend generator" on their page now. My question is, Is it possible that the MySpace spam filters are picking up the generator they have and matching it to my IP address and not theirs? and why aren't the other accounts, especially theirs, getting deleted? It's very frustrating to work hard on the html codes and getting my page back up, starting all over again only to get deleted time after time while nothing happens to the page with the generator in it. Is there any way that I can check to see if my computer has a hidden embedded process that is running? Is it possible that MySpace thinks the generator is on my account and not on the person that has it? :flowers: :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:49 PM

I cannot answer your questions concerning MySpace policies.
You can though find out if there is malware on your computer.
Use the programs below to scan your computer.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-a...ootkit/us/crp/0

Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This Log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post a log in this forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Goldwood

Goldwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

Thanks buddy215,
I didn't mean to inquire about MySpace policy help, I was just wondering if it is possible for the MySpace spam filters to pick up a generator/bot the other person has and match it to my IP address and not theirs. The reason why is, I started their page from my computer, once the account was opened I had them change the password so that I wouldn't be able to access their account, I have nothing to do with what they are doing with it now. The other part is O.K., I do want to find out if a bot or rootkit has been embedded in my computer when I was hijacked back in July.
I will download the programs you suggested and get back to you guys with the necessary logs. I guess I should start the next topic in the HijackThis log forum.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

I do not use My Space. It is more likely that your computer is being identified by the info on the cookies that MySpace would install to do just that.
The answers to your other questions would only be a guess on my part.

Please post back here with the results of the scans. You don't have to include the logs, just a brief explanation of what was found if anything.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

A spambot is a type of web crawler designed to scan the Internet and extract e-mail addresses and hyperlinks from various sources (newsgroups, bulletin boards, web pages, chat rooms, etc) in order to build mass mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail (spam). The spambot stores the email addresses to use as targets for spam, and then follows each hyperlink to a new page, where it starts the process all over again.

Spam Bots - and how to avoid them. Part 1
Spambot Beware

Just so you know, using MySpace can be hazardous to your computer.

MySpace Attacked by Flash Worm
Ad-based Trojan hits MySpace, Bebo and others
Dangerous Malware Detected through Flash Advertisements
Banner Ad Trojan Served on MySpace
QuickTime exploit steals MySpace passwords
QuickSpace: MySpace Tracker Launch by QuickTime
New MySpace Nasty
MySpace Pushing Ads for malware: WinAntiVirus, Drive Cleaner
New MySpace Phish using CSS
Myspace Users Hit By Hacker Virus
Myspace Ad Served Spyware To A Million Computers
Phishing Attack Targets Myspace Users
Myspace Xss Quicktime Worm
Myspace Phishing Alert
Malicious videos open dangerous attack vector (to YouTube and MySpace users)
Zango Adware Found On MySpace
Bogus YouTube clip on Myspace installs Zango Cash
180solutions Jumps In Bed With Myspace
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Goldwood

Goldwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:59 PM

Say quietman7,
would you happen to know the answer to my previous question about MySpaces' spam filters? I'm wondering because I started a friends account but I no longer have anything to do with ther page. My page always gets deleted but theirs is still going, and they are using something that MySpace will delete your page for using.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:00 AM

Sorry but I do not and would not use MySpace so I don't know anything about their filters.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users