Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shutting Down Randomly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

Ok, so. I recently tried to install a second hard drive into my PC, but upon opening it found I was missing a SATA cable to connect to the mobo. This isn't part of the issue but I do believe it is related. Ever since closing my PC back up it's had a couple odd things happen. Either A) The computer shuts down randomly, after some screen flickering and a beep. (Usually 5-10 mins afterwards) or :thumbsup: The entire screen goes black as if the computer is off, yet if I have music or other programs running, I still hear them. I've done a measure of things such as dusting it, unplugging and replugging all the power supply cables and even kept the cover off when running, thinking it may have been overheating. I'm still not sure if the problem is overheating or if something is wrong with the power supply. But I do know none of this started until after I had opened the case for the 2nd hard drive. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

hi mythical archer - can you please post specs. of your system?psu wattage incl. etc.

what did you touch when you opened the case? apart from sata stuff

highly unlikely - were you very "static-y" when you opened the side?

by the sound of your description - definatly sounds like heat, but if you have checked, then...

so when the screen is black, you can actually hear stuff IE your pc still runs? have you tested another monitor on your pc?afaik if your vid card goes it wont boot your pc so...

the beep that you hear - is this the "normal boot" beep from your bios?

pretty much without having the pc here, its hard to test the hardware..shud take your PSU into a local pc shop n ask it to get tested should cost you either nothing or very little..or do you have spare, know good parts laying around?

goodluck
=)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

WAG :flowers:, but have you tried reseating your video card?

Reseat your memory?

Doesn't seem like much but these things can cause irritation :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

PSU: Antec Smart Power 2.0 450W
GFX: ATI Radeon x1650 512 MB
Processor: Pentium 4 2.6GHz
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 80GB

When I opened the case I had to move wires from the PSU around to actually see inside, so I thought I may have knocked something loose, but I did replug everything and still nogo. I do have a spare but I haven't touched it. Although I still have the stock gfx card and psu.

When the screen goes black everything is still running, I just cannot see what's being displayed. And if I reboot the problem persists at the logon page in windows. If I leave it for about 5-10 minutes it stops and works as normal, until the 10-15 minutes go by and it shuts down again.

The beeping I've never heard before. I get the feeling it's some kind of warning beep.

Oh, I haven't reseated any memory or the gfx card. Is that something I should do?

Edited by MythicalArcher, 25 October 2007 - 08:11 PM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

The beeping I've never heard before. I get the feeling it's some kind of warning beep.

What you may be hearing is a BIOS Error Beep Code. Here is a link that will describe what you are hearing.

Power On Self Test Beep Codes

Oh, I haven't reseated any memory or the gfx card. Is that something I should do?

You may find that the beep code you are hearing is a unseated or bad memory module or video card.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

But I'm not hearing these beeps on startup. My screen does the same flicker it does when loading up a game, and then I hear beeping. Does that page still apply?

#7 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:10 PM

what kinda beeping? from your pc speakers/headphones?

or from the system speaker? you will know the difference..
=)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

When your computer first starts up it goes through the POST (power on self test) which looks at the system and if there are any problems it will let you know in the form of beep codes or in some cases the is a LED display on the motherboard to show the code. If you have the owners manual look and see what the beep code means. If you don't have the manual you can download SIW which is a free utility which will show what the make and version of your BIOS is, you can then go to the manufacturers wed site and find the specific beep codes.

The best thing to do first is to go back and check and see if all of your connections are intact. The subject of electrostatic discharge was eluded to previously, to make sure that you don't add to you problems touch the metal of the case prior to touching anything in the case. Each peripheral device like you hdd, DVD, CD, will have a four pin molex connector attached to it, make sure that those are present. Make sure that all of the connectors, card, and modules are properly seated.

It would help if you were to list the make and model of your computer so that we will now what hardware came with it, if it is a custom build please provide the make and model of the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:40 PM

I recently have a similar problem and it turned out my video card failed. Would you have another video card you could swap out just for test purposes? Just to rule out your video card.

#10 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

It isn't the BIOS beeps though. I hear those beeps normally when starting up, but after about spending around 10-15 minutes in windows doing whatever. The screen does a slight flicker, that I've been experiencing since I last updated my video drivers whenever I go to start up a game or something. Immediately after the flicker I hear a beep coming from the system speaker. It seems to be random. Sometimes it beeps only once, sometimes it beeps 2 or 3 times.

The make and brand of the PC is a Dell Dimension 4700, with a custom psu, video card, and ram. I listed what the custom parts are in a previous post.

I have the stock gfx card still, so I will try putting that in. I did touch the case before touching anything inside, so it's highly unlikely that it was electrostatic discharge. But I will go put in the stock card and check to see if it works, and then post back here with results.

#11 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:57 PM

Well it's been running for over an hour now. I guess it was the video card. That sucks but I guess it's an opportunity to upgrade. Do you think I should save up for a little bit and get that 1gb card from ATI, or get another 512 card? I'm an ATI fan so I don't do Nvidia cards.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

Hmm..?? I really could not speak on those video options. The best video card I have is a 128MB nVidia PCI card (not a PCIe). I would run a request in the Hardware Forum asking for opinion between the cards you are interested in.
I am sorry to here your card failed but at least we know the problem. If you need more help please feel free to start a new Topic.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users