Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oldbod

oldbod

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

HI,folks.
After formatting my hard drive & re-installing Windows XP (home) I noticed when checking Device manager
a yellow question mark against Other devices & Ethernet controller. Things seem to be working alright and I
wondered if it would be safe to delete these entries ? My limited knowledge tells me that i dont require Ethernet !! would this be correct ?
Computer is a Dell Dimension 3000.
Many thanks
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

You need your Network Interface Card to be functional if you intend to connect to the Internet or another computer at home :thumbsup:.

The yellow question mark appears to alert users that this function is not yet working properly, since the majority of users want to connect to the Internet.

I don't know what "other devices" might be.

The safest thing to do is to download/install all drivers for the Dell Dimension 3000, http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?spf=Di...h=False&p=1

Last one at the bottom is the network driver.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

There's a number of different reasons your computer doesn't recognize a driver http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244601 I haven't tried this app. yet
http://www.gold-software.com/UnknownDeviceIdentifier
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

if you are on dial up and not using your ethernet controller you can turn it off in bios or disable it in device manager to save confusion with windoze

keep the driver handy if you want broadband thru cat5 ethernet
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:32 PM

yeah nah i would be keeping your ethernet for the time being...you never know when you might need it!
=)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

Nice link, Mark, thanks.

Louis

#7 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:05 PM

Many thanks to:- Hamluis,Garmana,Dachew,& 4wardTristan for the very prompt replies to my call for assistance. believe me it is greatly appreciated!!
I downloaded Dell driver files which fixed both problems,and am now going to burn them to disc for future
reference. Special thanks to Hamluis for the download address and instructions.
I just can't believe how great this site is!!! and for a guy just months short of 82yrs I really need you guys who willingly help.
Thanks again
Jim

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:50 AM

Well. congrats on having the courage to not walk away from advanced technology :thumbsup:!

I'm 61 and I've encountered too many persons in my age range...who just fail to see the advantages of computing and are too inclined to just say "I can never understand that" and ignore it.

We're all here to help & learn...you don't have to have a problem to check in when you want to.

Happy computing!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users