Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi My Name Is...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Teraphim

Teraphim

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

Got moved from introductions, see below for problem details I'll try a different introduction.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum, added a topic descriptor and merged double posts. ~ Animal

Edited by Teraphim, 25 October 2007 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Teraphim

Teraphim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

Ok a friend was using yahoo messenger on my pc and got an update that said she needed some patch or something(I wasn't there). She ran it and ouch I got hit hard, I have zone alarm's free firewall, but I had let my Trend Micro virus software go down(I was lacking funds at the time and only had dial-up). Now I've managed to get rid of the Security toolbar(I think, I use Firefox so I thought it was odd that I had IE windows were popping up) but I and a friend were up till the dawn trying to fix it. We downloaded AVG 7.5 and SpyBot S&D. AVG got rid of alot of things and Spybot found and destroyed over a hundred. But I'm still having problems, I still get the Security Balloons(not as often but still) and I know there fake because they misspell words(ballon?). I also get windows saying that IE has preformed an illegal action and need to be shut down. I also had a bunch of C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe windows pop-up and then close by themselves. I'm not sure what to do. I did a search and found this site it looks like just what I'm needing. So what do I need to do? Please instruct away. I'll do whatever you say but I'm recently unemployed so money is pretty tight. Well I'm going to run the AVG and SpyBot again and wait for the wise masters to tell me what a dunce I've been and how to protect myself. Thank you.

#3 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:18 PM

Hello Teraphim and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It sounds like you might still have a little bit of something in your system. Please start by following ALL instryctions on the link at the bottom of this post. If you decide not to, before you post an HJT Log (also on that page) you would only be impairing our ability to help you.

>Instructions<

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,593 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

Welcome to BC Teraphim

What do the "Security Balloons" say and where are they coming from (i.e. systray, middle of desktop...)?

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"? Are you doing scans while logged into the "Administrator Account" or an "account with administrator privileges"?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users