Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can A Printer Firmware Update And/or Driver Update Be Reversed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gloria B

Gloria B

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:22 PM

Can a Firmware Update and/or drivers on printers be reversed?

I am new to BleepingComputer, so I do not know which Forum to post this to, as this issue involves multiple forums: Hardware (HP Printers), Software (Firmware & Drivers), Operating Systems running Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

At my workplace, we have many HP Printers on the network. HP sent me a link promoting HP Easy Printer Care. I figured I would try it (big mistake) because I take care of all of the printers in our building. So this Easy Printer Care tells me that there is updated Firmware for my printers. So I get the firmware and install it. Of course, HP didnít really explain how to install it. I had to look it up to actually do the install. After installing it, HP tells me that the Firmware Updates still need to be updated!?!

Now the end users are having problems when they print. Multiple users are having the same and or different problems. The problem that has the most reports to me are: When someone is printing a document and they want to change it from portrait to landscape, they click on properties and receive an error message that reads:

Function address 0x2e2a5aa caused a protection fault. (exception code 0xc0000005) Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed. Click OK.
Then another windows pops up saying: Operation could not be completed. Click OK.

The function address is always different (for different users or systems) The exception code is always the same. The User cannot make any changes in order to print.

I have tried a hard reboot on the printers to default back to factory settings, but nothing seems to change. Am I doing that correctly?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please advise. Thank you.

Gloria B.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:33 PM

You can go to Device Manager and find the printer and in properties it gives you the option to "roll back" the driver to a previous version. A firmware update and driver update mean 2 different things, to me anyways. My understanding is a firmware update offers "improved" instructions to the onboard chip of the device. What does HP say about the problem?
Mark
'
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Gloria B

Gloria B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hello Garmanma,

Thank you for the advice on the roll-back. I've checked out the HP website and some suggestions have helped, others have not.

Today we had a new error message appear: Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources. I looked that up at the HP website and found out that that is strictly a Drivers Error. And one department was totally unable to print. I followed the guidelines, and finally got them printing. I attempted the same with the other affected department and it did not work. Very frustrated about that. TGIF.

And, in the future, I will only post to one forum. Thank you for the advice. :thumbsup:

Gloria

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

I'd be curious to see how your network(s) and printers are set up. Are all computers using the same OS?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users