Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod During An Install On A New Build

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Football Ref

The Football Ref

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

System is Brand new and just built :

ASUS - AMD M2N32-SLI w/ AMD 6000+
3 SATA HDD creating a RAID 5 Array
2 SATA CD Roms drives
COSAIR XMS2 - DDR2
XFX Video Card

Installing Media Center 2005

Hey guys. After building a new tower for a friend, I created the RAID 5 array, then during the XP install I got all the way to EULA F8, and then chose the array to install on.

After windows formats the array, the bottom of the screen says checking drive C: and then BAM, the BSOD.

The error message says page fault in a non page area, and the file is SETUPDD.SYS.

My CD Roms are both SATA, so I hooked up an IDE CD Rom drive, same problem.

I switched RAM modules and slots they were in, same.

I deleted the array, created it again and even did the slow format instead of the quick one. Formatted all the way and then while checking C: same thing.

Any help will be much appreciated. This is a system for a friend and he needs it for his business.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:09 PM

Did you install the SATA drivers...during the XP install? At the correct prompt?

Louis

#3 The Football Ref

The Football Ref
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:15 PM

Yes. Sorry I was not more informative. I did F6 at the right time.

Tonight I had the time to take a known working IDE HDD and an IDE CDRom drive from another system and got the same error.

Install goes properly right up to the point where after the EULA it wants to start writing to the HDD.

So now it doesn't make any sense that it would be a problem with the SATA raid array either.

I also ran memtest and so far 2 passes over almost 2 hours and no error with the RAM.

This is all leading to the Motherboard or the Windows install CD. I am not happy.

Gosh this sux ..............

Edited by The Football Ref, 25 October 2007 - 08:16 PM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

looking at the mess of drivers at the asus site, does that nforce raid chipset support xp?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:44 AM

Hmmm...I would have thought that the logical candidate would be the hard drive before I go on to anything else.

I'd run a manufacturer's diagnostic, if only to rule the HD out.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users