Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Won't Operate W/o Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hermez

Hermez

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

Howdy everyone!

First a list of all those involved:

AOL 9.0 SE
IE 7
cable broadband connection
AOL is default browser

Scenario:

I open AOL. The window opens and it prompts asking for the password. I enter password.

AOL runs, gives the "You have mail" prompt, runs AIM and then one of two things happens.

1- AOL loads the usual (in my case) "Welcome" window with the little menu bar to the left, and

then IE prompts to connect to the internet when I go to another page or site, or

2- IE prompt to connect immediately. In this case, the "Welcome" window does not appear. If I

connect it takes me to AOL.com

In either case IE does not open, but is online. If I opt not to connect with IE, I can't use the internet

with AOL.

Thanks in advance,

Hermez

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hermez

Hermez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:07 AM

I just wanted to add that I use Windows xp SP2 and that I have updated it and all other applications.

I have also been through the process of cleaning viruses from my PC with a member on here named CreteMonster.

CreteMonster was a tremendous help.

Thank you, everyone who bothers to read this,

Hermez

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

Many ISPs hijack your home page or force their particular version of IE (skinned for their economic benefit) to connect to their service. AOL is notorious for making you do things "for your own good." The simple solution is to immediately minimise IE after the connexion is completed, and use a browser of YOUR choice.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Hermez

Hermez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

Hey! How are ya?

Well, OK, thanks for the explaination.

That sucks buttcrack though.

Cuz if I truly want to log off, I have to open IE and log it off.

Also, if I have to log on with IE, what's the point of using AOL?

:thumbsup:

Much grattitude,

Hermez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users