Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Everything But The Hdd...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:55 AM

Can I change out my mobo, cpu, ram, psu with new ones, but leave in the old HDD that has the OS installed on it (WinXP SP2) and still have it work fine? Or, will I need to reformat the drive and reinstall the OS causing massive heartache and headache resulting in severe unhappiness on my behalf? :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doomgiver13

doomgiver13

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:03 AM

I've swapped HDDs from box to box before. I would suggest making sure that all pertinent drivers are present on your system prior to the swaps. Another possibility would be to run the files and settings transfer wizard prior to tearing into your box. Save the backup to a cd or dvd... or even an external drive. Make the switch. If your machine won't boot with the original install, then reinstall XP and restore from the transfer backup. This will at least save your files so even if you have to reinstall your software, you don't really lose much.
If you truly live by the sword, it only stands to reason that someone has to die by it.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

You are better off doing a clean reinstall . There is information about your hardware stored on your hard drive that can cause issues with a new set-up.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

I also have done it while trying to troubleshoot someone else's system (by moving their drive to my system).

I just uninstalled their drivers and XP installed mine and there was no problem. When I had to activate, I used my key/license (which already reflected my system info).

I think you would be able to do it up to the point of activation, at which time the data on record for your system would be false and should create at least a need for explanation by you.

I've also done it on a system where everything replaced was pretty much the same (slight difference in motherboard) as the previous and there was no problem.

Louis

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I'll wipe the drive and reinstall everything.....everything that I had on that 250gb drive....all of it.....then I'll update it.....all of it....then I'll make back ups....again.....first I think I'll lay in the corner in a fetal position and cry myself to sleep. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

hmm

before you rip apart your old machine, make a copy of ur hdd..go thru and uninstall all drivers.

pretty high chance it shud boot straight abck into it with your new machine, if not you can always run a repair install - in which case you wont have to uninstall a thing =)

always make the backup though....
=)

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

yet another reason for partitioning your hard drive into a system partition and a data partition
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:15 PM

Steve...been there, done that. Do the back up and reinstall the OS and avoid the head ache. I also agree with dachew regarding the two partitions, it can make life simpler.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users