Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Set Up A Modem & Router

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pete07

Pete07

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:50 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to set my modem up via Ethernet connection so I can run a router & add a 2nd PC to my Internet.

The modem is a Motorola SB5100. The Ethernet card is a Realtek RTL8139/810x & I'm running XP pro. Currently the Ethernet card is DHCP enabled, but there's no PC activity being recognised by my modem.

When I go into cmd.exe & type ipconfig, if the modem is connected via USB I get an IP address etc but if it is connected via Ethernet I don't get anything. In both instances it also tells me the media is disconnected.

Someone told me maybe the modem needs a static IP address & not to be DHCP enabled, but I honestly have no idea what that all means & don't know how to set that up.

Can the modem be set up to the first computer via USB & the router run off it via Ethernet? If it can, then I'll leave this how they are right now & go onto setting up the router & 2nd PC.

Edited to add - I just had another thought - I need a crossover Ethernet cable to connect the modem, is that right? Isn't a crossover cable a red one? The guy at the store today sold me a blue Ethernet cable. If blue is right then that's ok, but if it was supposed to be red... I may have the wrong cable.

I don't know if I'm making any sense here, but am hoping someone can help.

Thanks so much.

Moved from the Hardware Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 25 October 2007 - 07:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:15 AM

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/pr..._User_Guide.pdf

crossover cable from modem to router/hub or computer

straight cable from hub/router to computers
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:35 AM

The modem is a Motorola SB5100. The Ethernet card is a Realtek RTL8139/810x & I'm running XP pro. Currently the Ethernet card is DHCP enabled, but there's no PC activity being recognised by my modem.

When you install the router did you run the software that came with it?

When I go into cmd.exe & type ipconfig, if the modem is connected via USB I get an IP address etc but if it is connected via Ethernet I don't get anything. In both instances it also tells me the media is disconnected.

Someone told me maybe the modem needs a static IP address & not to be DHCP enabled, but I honestly have no idea what that all means & don't know how to set that up.

Again this could be the router in not setup properly. No you do not need a static IP address to setup the system like you describe. Honestly it should have recognized the modem\router.

Can the modem be set up to the first computer via USB & the router run off it via Ethernet? If it can, then I'll leave this how they are right now & go onto setting up the router & 2nd PC.

According to the manual for the, SB5100 Series Cable Modem User Guide SB5100 Series Cable Modem (this is a .pdf file), it can manage 1 computer on the USB and up to 31 additional computer through the ethernet port by using a simple hub or switch. With what the manual stated you do not need anything to run two computers. Connect one to the USB port and one to the ethernet port. The router would not be needed in this instance.

Edited to add - I just had another thought - I need a crossover Ethernet cable to connect the modem, is that right? Isn't a crossover cable a red one? The guy at the store today sold me a blue Ethernet cable. If blue is right then that's ok, but if it was supposed to be red... I may have the wrong cable.

You DO NOT need a crossover cable. The color is just a pretty and means nothing. Make sure you have a standard ethernet cable and not a crossover cable. The colors were create as a means of identifying different runs of cable.
I dealy you should install the router and run all your computer and devices through the router.

Let's try something. Make sure the modem, router and both computer are connected.
Next go to the command window (start\run\cmd). Type in ipconfig /release. Then close the window and turn off the computer. Do this for both computers.
Now unplug your modem and router.
Wait one minute and plug in your modem. Once the modem has finished booting , turn the router on. Wait about one minute and turn your computers on.
This should reset your LAN and allow the DHCP feature of your router to configure your computers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:56 AM

from page 40 of the manual

Posted Image

a switch and most routers will autosense and work with a straight cable, a network card to the modem will usually not

Edited by DaChew, 25 October 2007 - 09:00 AM.

Chewy

#5 doomgiver13

doomgiver13

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

Just out of curiosity... while it says media state disconnected... what IP address does it show you?
If you truly live by the sword, it only stands to reason that someone has to die by it.

#6 yr-less

yr-less

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

you do not need a crossover cable. crossover cables are usually red tho.

also, I have a Motorola SB (not a 5100, cant remember model) and even tho it says it will support both USB and ethernet at the same time, I have never been able to get it to work.

I have mine set up with a router and switch so I have no need for the USB anymore.

#7 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:45 PM

"Just out of curiosity... while it says media state disconnected... what IP address does it show you?"

exactly that: media state disconnected.
=)

#8 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:48 PM

When you installed the router did you run the software that came with it?

I hadn't actually installed the router yet. I thought I needed to have the modem working via Ethernet connection first on just one PC. USB connection is fine, it works perfectly, but there is no recognition of the computer at all by the modem when I use Ethernet.

The router is a wireless system, it's a Belkin 802.11g Should I try installing *with* that right away? Logic (to me at least!) tells me that if I can't get it to work without a router on *one* PC, I shouldn't be messing with an extra piece of equipment yet. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!)

According to the manual for the, SB5100 Series Cable Modem User Guide SB5100 Series Cable Modem (this is a .pdf file), it can manage 1 computer on the USB and up to 31 additional computer through the ethernet port by using a simple hub or switch. With what the manual stated you do not need anything to run two computers. Connect one to the USB port and one to the ethernet port. The router would not be needed in this instance.

See, I was thinking that as well when I looked at the user guide (I did try to use that first!) but thought I would need the router in order to set it up as a wireless system. There's 2 computers initially, then maybe a 3rd to go onto the modem, but they're not all going to be in the same room, so I can't run cables through the house.

You DO NOT need a crossover cable. The color is just a pretty and means nothing. Make sure you have a standard ethernet cable and not a crossover cable. The colors were create as a means of identifying different runs of cable.
I dealy you should install the router and run all your computer and devices through the router.

In the user guide it called the Ethernet cable a crossover cable, that's why I assumed I needed one. Is the user guide incorrect then?

Let's try something. Make sure the modem, router and both computer are connected.
Next go to the command window (start\run\cmd). Type in ipconfig /release. Then close the window and turn off the computer. Do this for both computers.
Now unplug your modem and router.
Wait one minute and plug in your modem. Once the modem has finished booting , turn the router on. Wait about one minute and turn your computers on.
This should reset your LAN and allow the DHCP feature of your router to configure your computers.

Yup, I have done that a few times with absolutely no result if I use the Ethernet connection. I just don't understand why it won't recognise it. I made sure I had the Ethernet drivers installed, etc (my ISP said I was missing the drivers & couldn't possibly fix that myself... I was not missing the drivers & had already installed them myself!) I've bugged my ISP several times as they provided the modem, but they now say the problem is outside what they provide support for. IMO if their modem won't connect, they should still be providing support!

Thanks so much for the help, I appreciate iot very much.

#9 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:49 PM

Just out of curiosity... while it says media state disconnected... what IP address does it show you?

No IP addy at all. Not even a bunch of zeros, nothing shows up. The modem shows no PC activity & isn't recognising the PC at all. I just don't get it as it *does* recognise the PC via USB connection, just not via Ethernet.

#10 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:51 PM

from page 40 of the manual

Posted Image

a switch and most routers will autosense and work with a straight cable, a network card to the modem will usually not

Yup, that's the diagram I was initially looking at when trying to set up the *one* computer before I even attempt the router. That's why I thought I needed a crossover cable.

Edited by Pete07, 25 October 2007 - 11:51 PM.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

Try this: With your ethernet cable hooked directly to the modem, type in http://192.168.100.1 in your web browser, and see if you receive the modem status page.

Edited by oldf@rt, 25 October 2007 - 11:56 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:05 AM

That's why I thought I needed a crossover cable.

and you haven't tried one yet?
Chewy

#13 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:02 PM

Sorry for the slow response, somehow I managed to kill my internet connection all together! I have USB connection again now, but still don't have Ethernet connection.

Try this: With your ethernet cable hooked directly to the modem, type in http://192.168.100.1 in your web browser, and see if you receive the modem status page.

I tried that & it came up blank. I've actually spent forever on the phone with Belkin now & they think the router might be faulty so they're sending me a new router. However, I still can't access Ethernet connection directly with the modem (ie: no router) so I'm not convinced they're right. I'm starting to wonder if there's an issue with the Ethernet port on my modem... not that I can get the ISP (they provided it) to admit that's a possibility. UGH!

That's why I thought I needed a crossover cable.

and you haven't tried one yet?

This is why I was asking if a blue cable is a regular cable or a crossover one. I wasn't sure if I had the right kind of cable.

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

Crossover cables are normally red or yellow, depending on the manufacturer. They should also be labeled as a crossover cable. Do you get any connect lights turning on next to the computer or the modem Ethernet ports when you plug in the cable?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

ok, I definately don't have a crossover cable then, I'll go get one today.

When I was going through the router the Local Area Connection showed up as being valid & there was a PC activity light showing on the modem, but when I plug directly into the modem, the PC activity light on the modem stays unlight & the Local Area Connection shows as being disconnected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users