Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Mp4 Player Has Bad Sectors On Disk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Extrodewise

Extrodewise

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:26 PM

Hi Everyone,
I purchased a SONY MP4 player two days ago, had it formatted as FAT32 (Which was a mistake) and downloaded songs into it. I tried playing the songs but only the first 9 tracks played. I thought it was some sort of formatting error so I waited till I got home and re-formatted the player still as FAT32 and the problem persisted. Later I discovered I shouldn't have formatted as FAT32 so I changed the formatting preference to FAT, still, the problem persisted. Yesterday it occured to me that the player may have bad sectors on the disk so i decided to verify that. I plugged in the player to my system and tried playing the tracks from the MP4 on my system. True to my thoughts, only a few tracks played. The others were either reported by Windows Media Player as unreadable (Cannot recognize audio codec...something like that) or played funny sounds similar to those from a cracking compact disc. I've used the Windows disc checking utility a number of times, still no positive result. However, I noticed that the disc checking took an unusually long time (up to an hour) when I checked the "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" box but went on super fast when I checked only "Automatically fix file system errors". I can't help but wonder if that has any significance. Right now, all I want to do is recover the bad areas of the MP4 disc. Out of 4GB, I can use only about 35MB, that's appaling. It is supposed to be 4GB and it's still 4GB. Help Needed Please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:20 AM

The 'proper' filing system for a 4GB partition/drive is FAT32, as FAT16 is not supported on partitions above 2GB, so how you managed to do it is puzzling. Check there isn't a 'format' option on the player itself (in the menu system). If there definitely isn't such an option, format it on the PC as FAT32 again and then see what happens.

#3 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

What type of files are you trying to play? Mp4 does not support all types of files. Also, Sony devices ask for a program called Sonic Stage, or something like that, to put songs or videos on mp3 or mp4 players, and that's the only way they will work! Have you put the song on your mp4 using that program?
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#4 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

Thanks a lot. The MP4 was initially formatted as FAT32 when the problem started, it was then that I formatted it as FAT. If I'm to format it as FAT32, what would be the allocation size?
I have not used sonic stage, I've not even heard of it, please where can I get it.
A lot of people think the problem is a factory error. I forgot to add that I caught a virus on it the first time I plugged it to my system (A win32 variant). Right now, I can use only 44MB out of 4GB. I now have to reduce the bit rates of my songs to 92kbps but it still can't play any songs out of the 44Mb sector. Only the first few songs I put on it gets played. Is there a way of replacing the disk or correcting the sectorial errors. Thanks once again!!!

#5 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:53 AM

If it is so, then I think it's factory error, too. You should check out system files on your mp4, and if there are any songs delete them, but do not delete anything else or you might harm the device. That happened once to me, these song took almost all of the memory. Also check out if there is anything else suspicious.
You should get Sonic Stage with your mp4, when you bought it. If not, I'll try to find a link for downloading the program, or something.

#6 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:03 PM

Well I was able to get MP3 Utilities 4.0 and I used the Disc Manager tool to re-partition the device. After the process, I had only 46Mb left of 4Gb. I still dont know what to believe. Is there a way of undoing the partitioning?

#7 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

Sorry I forgot to add that I had tried formatting the player with the disc manager but it replied: "Does not support this type disc". After that was when I did the partitioning. The player usually appeared as two drives on my computer: Drive E (4GB) and Drive F (1GB). After the partitioning, Drive F totally disappeared and Drive E reduced to 46MB. Can this be undone.

#8 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:08 PM

I don't know. I think your mp4 is totally corrupt. You should complain in the store where you bought it (if you did bought it in a store!), and ask for a new one, if you didn't lost your guarancy! Maybe it will not work because you formatted the mp4, but you can try! :thumbsup:

Anybody with another sugestion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users