Thanks for the good ideas. Jotti and VirusTotal both found nothing in the file (it's only 5416 bytes long). I also found lots of references to the file name on the web, and I don't think it's part of Direct3D. It's only on this computer.
I did find some interesting things about it since I posted.
It seems that Juice 2.2 is downloading new podcasts on a certain schedule. When it does, and hands the file off to iTunes, and the computer is in standby, then this file is created and updated. It seems to be connected to iTunes trying to find cover artwork for the podcast. It's possible that the network communications is down during standby, so the update does not happen until the user logs back in and the connection is restored. I have moved all my podcast updates to iTunes directly and eliminated the automatic checking, which (so far) seems to have kept this file from updating.
However, a quick log check shows at least a few more cases of the file being updated, so I guess I will have to investigate further. It may just be tied to any time iTunes tries to update cover artwork.
Edited by Jman9, 29 October 2007 - 11:52 PM.