Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntldr Is Missing, Press Ctrl-alt-del To Restart, Get This Error Message

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kim C

Kim C

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:16 PM

My daughter has a Toshiba Satellite A100/A105 S2101 laptop. When you turn it on it acts like it is loading and then goes to a black screen with this message: NTDLR is missing press ctrl-alt-del to restart And if you restart, it does the same thing all over again. What causes this and is it something simple to fix? The computer is running Windows XP with Service pack 2. The only disk I have with the laptop is the recovery disk that came with it and there is no other option on there but to restore the thing completely to factory condition. I debated on this, however, my daughter doesn't want to lose all her stuff on the laptop. Hope someone can help with this problem. I have been trying to figure it out for a week and it is driving me :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

Hi Kim C, welcome to BC!

This is why I absolutely hate the "restore" disks that manufacturers give out; they don't include the tools to fix anything!

If at all possible, find an installation CD (worse comes to worse, see if you can dig up a Dell CD) for the version of XP that matches yours. Check with friends, family, enemies, neighbors, etc. You may also try giving Toshiba a call and demanding a full CD... but good luck.

If you can't get one, then let us know and we can go from there. The following solution assumes that you've acquired the proper CD:

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to run the Recovery Console.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password. (if it's blank, then just press Enter)
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer. Simply enter these commands and press enter after each one.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
	  copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Let us know!

#3 Kim C

Kim C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and for such a fast reply. :flowers: I recognize those 2 file names because someone at another computer help forum told me about a way to fix it by going to the microsoft website and making the 6 floppy disks to boot windows, then you were supposed to erase the first disk, add those 2 files and make a boot.ini file to put on there also. i tried that and the only thing i got from that was something that said unmountable boot volume. I got the files from the recovery disk. Not sure any of this will help you in helping me but thought i would mention that. I got fed up at the other forum because the guy trying to help me got really nasty with me because I was a "computer genius" I guess. :thumbsup: I just tried to explain it to him the best I could and he was not nice. But thanks for any help you can give me, I truly appreciate it.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

I just had another thought. If you have access to another computer with a CD burner, and are willing to do a little bit of heavy lifting, then you can probably fix this without the original XP CD.

I'm thinking of using the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. Check out the website. Making the CD involves a little work, but it would allow you to restore the two files you need. Plus, after you've made the CD, you have the best system recovery tool ever made (IMHO) available to you!

#5 gykick

gykick

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:08 AM

Try this link it may help...... http://tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

#6 Kim C

Kim C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:46 AM

I went to the website for the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and I downloaded the program, haven't had time to try it yet, getting a little sleepy now so I will try this tomorrow, but in reading the instructions it said you need the Windows XP CD, is that right?? I hope not, but when I saw that it did worry me. If i don't get this figured out soon then I am ready to throw the laptop out the window! :thumbsup: Well, maybe not, daughter would kill me! Just wondering though if I do need the XP CD to use that program. It sounds like a great thing though. Thanks!

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:21 AM

You can usually use a manufacturer's disk as it has the same info on it, just arranged slightly differently.

But of course, the UBCD4Win is just one option. All we need is to be able to boot the computer from a CD and copy two measly files. Most Live Linux CD's with NTFS support could do this.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 25 October 2007 - 03:22 AM.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:31 AM

You can also use the UBCD as a boot disk (note that this is different to the UBCD4Win). You don't need a Windows disk to create it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:36 AM

Good point!

#10 Kim C

Kim C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:01 PM

Okay, I got the UBCD made and now I am lost as to what to do next. :flowers: I know I just need the 2 files but how do I go about fixing that with this cd. This seems like a great CD so thank you for helping me get that figured out, now all I need is to know how to use it. :thumbsup: Thanks for all the help!

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

Okay, I've never used the UBCD before, just the UBCD4Win, so I'm not exactly sure of how to do this. You need those two files I mentioned earlier:
ntldr
ntdetect.com

These can be found in a folder called i386 of your original restoration CD.

You need to copy these to some external medium like a floppy disk or a USB flash drive so that you can then copy them to the root (C:\) of the laptop's hard drive.

Any UBCD users out there: we need you expertise!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:22 PM

FWIW: UBCD4Win probably should be used, rather than just UBCD.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#diff Summary of differences.

Reference: http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#howto2 How to use UBCD4Win to replace NTLDR.

Louis

#13 Kim C

Kim C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:41 PM

I wish I could use the UBCD for Windows but for some reason I can't get it to recognize my restore disk that came with my computer. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what. Getting really frustrated though. :thumbsup: I don't know what else to try. If someone can please tell me how to use the UBCD then that would be great. I did get that to work, just don't know what to do with it now! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. :flowers: There has to be an easy way to fix this problem for "dummies" like me, lol

Edited by Kim C, 25 October 2007 - 11:41 PM.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:36 AM

When you boot your computer with the UBCD go File Tools > Necromancer's DOS Navigator, which is a type of file manager. Use this to copy the ntldr and ntdetect.com files onto your C drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 Kim C

Kim C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

Thanks Budapest. I got to where you said to go, but what do I do from there?? I am so lost. :flowers: I need someone to give me step by step directions on how to replace these files because I have no idea what I am doing. I know that is probably asking alot but I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out. I don't really know what I am doing, which I am sure that is quite obvious. :thumbsup: Thanks to anyone who is willing to give me step by step instructions to replacing the files I need to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users