Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Associations Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zachary R.

Zachary R.

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

I feel really dumb here.I was installing a program and somehow I messed up my file assosiations and can't get anything back to the way it was before.Everytime I want to run a program I have to go through the process of finding and pointing out which one to run.ANd now my simple programs won't run either.It says it can't find the app.Is there a way for me to get windows to fix all the associations without having to know where every one is.My ad/remove programs won't open ,it says rundll32.exe can not be found.I have a feeling it is something really easy,but for some reason I can't remember where to look.any information would be greatly appreciated....I can supply hijackthis logs too if needed,but this isn't a hijacking that I can see.I just messed it up...ty vm Zac
"We, the willing, led by the knowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

Can you do a system restore?
http://www.microsoft.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Zachary R.

Zachary R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

next post (this one was removed)

Edited by Zachary R., 24 October 2007 - 09:05 PM.

"We, the willing, led by the knowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

#4 Zachary R.

Zachary R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:59 PM

Ok,I went looking around and found the System restore and restored it to yesterdays setting,I didn't have a problem untill today.I still have the same problems since the restore.If there are any programs that I could Dwl and run that would assist in the diagnoses I will do my best to run them..ty again

Edited by Zachary R., 24 October 2007 - 09:03 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

Have you recently scanned for malware? And done so from safe mode. Some malware disguise themselves as or affect that file.
I would recommend a scan with this, SUPERAntiSpyware It's eefective on such.
Download,install update and scan.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 gykick

gykick

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

try this, open notepad and paste this code into it, then save as regfix.reg ( remember to change the "save as type" to "all files" before saving) If all is good up to this point run the file and it will ask you if you are sure you want to add this to registry say yes , now restart and retry an application.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
"TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion"
"InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PEAnalyser]
@="{09A63660-16F9-11d0-B1DF-004F56001CA7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
@="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page]
@="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:04 AM

Well...two tools available, IMO:

a. sfc /scannow command (not sure that would fix file associations, but it would check all system files).

b. Repair install of XP (seems like it would solve the XP problems).

Louis

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

It might be simpler to change the file associations that are messed up by relinking the file type to the application you want to handle it. The instructions below are for changing picture file associations, but work for any kind of change:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40808/how-to-change-which-application-opens-your-pictures/
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Zachary R.

Zachary R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:38 PM

Ok,very bad news..the SUPERAntiSpyware,I couldn't get it to install,the regfix.reg said "The specified file is not a registry script.You can only import binary registry files from within registry editor."and I can't open regedit.Even if I could I probably shouldn't be in there since I have no idea of what I am looking at in there.I also tried using the info from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40808/how-to-change-which-application-opens-your-pictures/ and when I go to the properties/General tab there is no change button and I know what button it is,I've seen it before.Not anymore though.....Thank you for all your ideas guys,hope there are more out there..I'm trying to avoid a complete reinstall of Windows Xp.I would have to go and buy a harddrive just to transfer files off this one so I wouldn't loose any of my nonreplacable files.

ZAC

#10 Zachary R.

Zachary R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:32 PM

Now this wondrful computer has completly shutdown and I can't start it.as it starts and the windows boot screen is up it flashes memory problem blue screen then reboots.Can a virus get into the memory?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users