Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Focus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

I know that by default Windows only allows the top window to be active but that is not what is happening with my computer.
I open one window ok. I open a second one without closing the first one. Now this second one should be active but NO. I have to click somewhere anywhere to make it active. This should not be happening. I have posted this problem at three forums and Googled until I am blue in the face with no solution. This pc is running XP home. THanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gykick

gykick

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

A repair install should fix the problem, if you are not infected (can't hurt if you take a few mins to scan for virus and or spyware ) then if all is well http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/113559/anyone-know-where-the-repair-option-is/

You wrote "Window focus problem" my guess was a monitor issue....but then you stated a software problem

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:56 PM

A repair install would probably fix this problem but it would be like trying to kill a mosquito with a cannon: overkill.

First, let's get some more details. Does this affect all programs and Windows or just a particular program like Internet Explorer? How long has this issue been present? If it's a new development, do you recall installing any new programs or changing any settings just before it started happening?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 24 October 2007 - 10:57 PM.

#4 gykick

gykick

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:05 AM

It may be an over kill but it may solve the problem., rather than going through it with a fine teeth comb and spending more painful time on this machine just do the repair install .....Andrew you are very good at helping everyone in here but sometimes your process takes so much time ... But on th other hand doing it your way may be educational for the user.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:54 AM

While a repair install may be overkill, it may not even fix the problem - program software, drivers, and malware aren't affected by a repair install (and can cause these exact same issues).

This also doesn't take into account the 96+ Windows Updates that you've gotta sit through when reinstalling XP w/SP2 :flowers:

That being said, it's usually appropriate to get enough information to make a diagnosis before recommending a particular fix.

I've been thinking about the "time value" of repairs for a while now - and I do realize that not everyone wants to hunt down a problem like I do. But some folks come here not just for fixes, but for knowledge also - that's how I started out! :thumbsup:

So, where is the cutoff between a specific fix and the "scorched earth" fix? That's up to the user to decide - and it's our job to give them enough information to make that decision. When I did email tech support (not long ago), my sig contained a statement that it was the user's choice when to do this - and that I'd happily continue to hunt down the problem and it's solution until they told me to stop. Not many decided on that tho' - I figured that they were too interested in learning "why".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:09 AM

Indeed. Plus, this doesn't sound like a very big problem, not quite up to my personal "scorched Earth" threshold.

But I've never encountered this particular problem before; I'm wondering if it has any relation to the "Prevent Windows From Stealing Focus" tweak and if disabling said tweak would fix the problem... need input... (and coffee)

#7 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

This problem does ot occur on just one particular window that I open. Any window after the first one I open is not ative until I click on the page. THis has been going on for the last three months.

Say I have four widows open. I close the active one then each widow under it is not active until I click on it. BTW I tried the Kelley's fix for windows stealing focus two months ago and saw no change. I must indeed have a unique problem. Granted not a great problem but I would like to fix it. THanks guys for tryig to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users