Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Hard Drive Damaged? Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 binx1310

binx1310

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

About 2 months ago i was merging the partitions of my hard drive when we had a power cut. It had only just started the process. but it managed to delete all the files on the larger partition (200gb) my friend took the hard drive and did some recovery thing to rebuild the FAT. it got some stuff back but not all. Ever since then my computer has been unusually slow. normally would start up fairly instant but now the desktop takes a minute or so to 'warm up'. It also seems slower when opening programs. Could this be a result of some damaged caused?

I have also recently changed my AV softaware from AVG to commodo. Im not sure that this would be causing the slower statup .

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Cheers

Will

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:50 PM

Hard to say what's causing the problem, but I suspect that the failed merge has a lot to do with it. It it were my machine I would probably just back everything up and start fresh with a new partition table.

You may consider trying the fixboot and fixmbr commands in the Windows XP recovery console, but I'm not sure what effect they would have.

Also, the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows includes a utility to repair partitions, you might want to look into that.

To be honest, these are just shots ins the dark, so no guarantees!

#3 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

to true amazing_andrew - ubcd has some amazing utilities when it comes to this stuff

grab a copy - www.ubcd4win.com - even if you dont use it to fix this specific problem, it is a must have to have laying around :thumbsup:

apart from that, i would be running a chkdsk /r (backup your data first)

for physical damage: visit your HDDS manufacture website for their diagnostic tools (seatools for seagate, wd diag for western digital, sd diag for samsung drives)

i guess one of the ebst ways to test would be get a 2nd hdd and do a clean install on it, see how it runs.

goodluck
=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users