Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performance Message In System Tray

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Piazza

Jim Piazza

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:04 PM

The following pop-up message appears in my system tray about every 20 minutes or so. I cannot determine what process it is coming from or if it is legitimate. Neither Norton AV nor Spyware detector find any problem. The message is as follows:

Performance and Stability Warning!

Your system is not configured properly. It may lead to crashes, reboots, shutdowns and freezing of operating system. Your files and documents may get corrupted due to crashes.

Click here to fix this problem.

When I click the warning icon in the system tray the message goes away but nothing else seems to happen. I don't know if this is related, but when shutting down PC RUNDLL32.EXE will not shut down by itself. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

Hi, Jim Piazza, welcome to BC!

Looks like you've got a case of spyware on your hands. I would recommend downloading HijackThis, running a scan, and posting the results in our HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.

Read this post before posting your log.

After posting your log, our crack team of Malware removal Ninjas will analyse it and help you disinfect your PC.

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

System manufacturer/model?

Did you check Event Viewer for clues?

Any error messages onscreen (not including the one in the tray)?

I find two instances of such message but they are in a language I cannot read.

If it's an OEM (Gateway, Dell, etc.) system, boes it look like it's an XP message or an OEM message?

Louis

#4 Jim Piazza

Jim Piazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:39 AM

My PC model is HP 540J. I didn't see anything in Event Viewer that would help. There are no other messages than the one in the system tray. It looks like a Windows message. The 1st response to my post has an image of the popup.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

Levi Mefford

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more people in the same thread with different problems. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

I have moved your Hijackthis log to the Misplaced HJT Logs forum. You posted your log in a forum not intended for these logs analysis and probably missed the directions we provide to those who require assistance.

Your log can be found here.

Please follow all directions that I posted as a reply to your log. Following these instructions will ensure that your hijackthis log is properly posted so it can be reviewed in a timely manner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users