Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know Where The 'repair' Option Is?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hi all.

I need a guide on how to repair my system using my WindowsXP Installation CD.

I got a 'Fatal Error' notice a couple of days ago, and now when I start up the computer it takes up to half an hour to complete the set up of my desktop and taskbar.

I'm hoping my Installation disc will repair the problem - but I can't see any 'Repair' option when the Installation disc displays the menu.

I've used Restore System taking my system back a couple of days - but this doesn't help. Upon rebooting it again takes ages to set up the desktop.

I'd appreciate any help.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

In order to do a Repair Installation, you must boot your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Here's a quick guide:

1. In order to boot from the CD, you may need to change the boot device priority (don't worry, it sounds harder than it is). Consult your system manual for information on how to do that or post back here with your computer's make and model for more assistance.

2. Insert the XP CD into the CD drive and reboot the computer.

3. If a message comes up saying to "Press any key to boot from the CD" press the space bar.

4. The Windows XP installation startup screen appears. It looks like this:
Posted Image
This screen will display for a while while the setup program loads.

5. Once the setup program is ready, you'll see this:
Posted Image
At this screen, Press the Enter Key.

6. Now you're at the next screen, which looks like this:
Posted Image
This is the Lisence agreement for XP. To agree, press F8.

7. The setup program will now search for existing installations of Windows. Once it's done, you should see a screen similar to this:
Posted Image
**WARNING: If You Don't See This Screen, STOP! Come Back Here For Further Assistance!**

Press the R key to begin repairing the highlighted installation of XP (there should only be one).

8. The setup program will start copying files onto the hard drive, replacing any bad versions in the process. It won't touch any of your other programs or data, so don't worry.

9. When the copying is finished, the computer should restart. This time, do not press any key to boot from the CD. Just let the computer start as normal

10. Visit Windows Update as you will need to reinstall all updates and service packs that were not on your CD. You will probably need to run the installer programs for you other programs to re-register them with Windows.

If you hit any snags or have any questions, post back!

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:44 PM

That's amazing, Andrew! :thumbsup: Thanks for your troubles. I'm printing out your post right now, and I'll be following the steps. Wish me luck!

#4 gykick

gykick

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

If you don't see the windows installation path in step 7, then restart computer with cd and in step 5 above press R you will the be booting into recovery console, there you will be ask the admin password if all is good up to this point type bootcfg /rebuild, after that completes restart and retry the steps above.

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:52 AM

It's a long story, but virtually nothing went according to the script.

I got this message, and spent some time before I actually found the file.

Posted Image

When the repairs had been completed using the Windows XP Installation disc - I clicked 'Finish' - and it refused to reboot from anywhere except the CD.

The next problem was the dreaded blue screen. But after awhile I managed to get it to desktop.

And when I clicked to download the Windows Updates - I am told 81 updates were not able to be downloaded and installed. No explanation.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:32 AM

Hmmm... that's odd. You were able to boot up normally, though, right?

As for the updates, I forgot to mention that MS recently screwed everyone who did a repair install with some stealth updates (read more). Easy to fix though. Copy the following into notepad and save it as fix.bat:

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
  regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
  regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
  regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
  regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
  regsvr32 /s wups.dll
  regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

Now double-click on the newly created fix.bat file. Problem fixed! Rerun Windows Update.

The next problem was the dreaded blue screen.

Did you happen to catch the error code on the screen?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 25 October 2007 - 03:35 AM.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:24 AM

Thanks, Amazing - that worked!

Yes, I was eventually able to reboot the PC to desktop - but that was after everything I had tried again and again had failed. It wasn't that I eventually highlighted and clicked something new that made it boot up ok. Still a mystery to me.

Thanks for all your help.

First thing I'm going to do is try and get hold of a fresh copy of a Windows XP Installation CD. The one I have at present didn't have the aliide file on it.

Cheers.

I don't remember any error code on the blue screen. It was just a blank blue.

Edited by Bone Idol, 25 October 2007 - 06:26 AM.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:50 AM

It appears that the aliide.sys file is a driver from Acer. Judging by the "ide" part, I'd say it's a hard drive controller driver. Check your device manager for any yellow ! or ? icons. These represent a device that is not functioning properly and needs attention. My supposition is that the aliide.sys file is right where it should be as the repair installation doesn't delete any files, just overwrites them and because aliide.sys wasn't found on the CD, it didn't overwrite it.

To get to the Device Manager, click Start then Run.. and type devmgmt.msc. Then press Enter.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 25 October 2007 - 07:51 AM.

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

No yellow ! or ?

I ran Search for aliide.sys - and it came up with: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers ... and C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab

I've since been told that a reinstall using my Windows XP Installation CD to repair damage would be the same as running 'R' for repair. I'd prefer to run the repair.

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

Another way to get the correct driver is to use the update driver function built into Windows XP: Click Start, Right Click on my computer, click properties, click the hardware tab, click device manager, right click on the device with the incorrect or missing driver, click update driver. Follow the instructions given in the window.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#11 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

From one OldF@art to another OldF@rt... I followed your instructions, and it didn't turn out quite as you described it. I didn't see any Device Manager there.

But apparently the drives are in OK condition.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

FWIW: I just tried the suggested way of getting to DM and it worked fine on my system.

Louis

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

That doesn't look like XP ??
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

My OS is Windows XP Home. Maybe you've got the Pro version?

#15 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

That doesn't look like XP ??

You've lost me. Bear in mind I've already come out of the closet as a newbie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users