Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reduced Hard-disk

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vomog1

vomog1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

Hi all
Having a spare 60Gb Hdisk; I thought I would stick it on a spare PC using WinME. Its a 1.2Gz pentium4 with 256DDRam. I reformatted the disk, installed ME ( Just to play around with some old hardware) I now find I only have 2Gb on C: Can someone tell me where I went wrong please? Incidently; even though I have the HDD jumpers on master; It always shows on slave. Please don't tell me I must reformat.

Cheers vomog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Most likely you will have to in order to correct the drive geometry

How does the BIOS see the drive?
Is this the only drive in the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

Hi all
Having a spare 60Gb Hdisk; I thought I would stick it on a spare PC using WinME. Its a 1.2Gz pentium4 with 256DDRam. I reformatted the disk, installed ME ( Just to play around with some old hardware) I now find I only have 2Gb on C: Can someone tell me where I went wrong please? Incidently; even though I have the HDD jumpers on master; It always shows on slave. Please don't tell me I must reformat.

Cheers vomog

I'm a little confused. You had an old computer with ME on it already (spare PC using WinME) and you put in the spare hard drive and installed ME on it also?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:04 PM

qarmanma

Bad punctuation on my part. I installed WinME onto a free disk.

Vomog

#5 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:28 AM

eyesee
It is the only drive. the BIOS just shows it as"Primary slave" even though jumper is set for "Master"

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:58 AM

eyesee
It is the only drive. the BIOS just shows it as"Primary slave" even though jumper is set for "Master"

You have it at the end of the ribbon cable. correct? Try setting it to cable select. Instead of auto-select in the BIOS you can manually enter the info, in some cases. It's been a while since I've done it. I'd have to jog my memory. How old is this computer? Will it even recognize 60g properly? I don't think it will, Is large block addressing enabled in the BIOS? Is it even there? I have a real old one that does the same thing. I tried a 40g and it shows as slave no matter what and only 38g I use a live Linux CD in it until I can score a 20g drive
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 25 October 2007 - 08:15 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:58 AM

The PC is not that old,5 yrs. In fact, this 60Gb disk, When on this PC, used to have XP on it. I can't find "Allow large blocking" in the BIOS. I've tried both connections on the IDE.
Any ideas??

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

Did you try cable select on the jumper?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:55 AM

quarmanma
Did everything you suggested, no joy. Strange thing is; I took the disk off spare PC, put it on my present PC. Reformatted the drive. Converted it to NTFS, and it still shows 2 Gb. Would you say the disk is f****d.
Vomog

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:25 AM

quarmanma
Did everything you suggested, no joy. Strange thing is; I took the disk off spare PC, put it on my present PC. Reformatted the drive. Converted it to NTFS, and it still shows 2 Gb. Would you say the disk is f****d.
Vomog

Well, there must have been a reason it was just sitting around.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:33 AM

Hi Mark
Just to let you know. I tried the disk jumper on the unmarked row of pins and I got the 60 Gb back. Not quite sure why!!
Must be a factory default or something.

Thanks for all your help Vomog

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:11 AM

Strange indeed, well you had nothing to lose. I'll have to remember that one. Glad you got it working You still might want to run some diagnostics on it to be sure
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 29 October 2007 - 12:00 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#13 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

A pair of those pins on the drive are designed to deliberately limit it's capacity to 2GB when used in old, legacy computers, as you have just discovered.
It's called in the trade "capacity clipping". The next higher clipping point is usually 32GB. Without this, some old systems wouldn't see the drive at all, let alone only some of it. These clipping points are quite common now that low-capacity disks are no longer available but there is still a need for them on older computers who can't use high-capacity disks. The solution is to provide some means of clipping back or limiting the capacity on new disks.

Edited by pip22, 29 October 2007 - 03:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users