Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With My Site!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zig!

Zig!

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:35 AM

Ok I started a website a month ago and I have made alot of changes as per previous suggestions but everytime I go to online webmaster tools and scan my site for errors and it keeps coming back with loads of errors. I don't understand? I have tried to correct all that was suggested but it still says have errors. Could someone run my site through some tools and see what I have to do to fix it? Please.... suggestions and help would be appreciated. http://www.zigs-stuff.org . Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:40 AM

Do you mean things like span title="Icons & Cursors where you use a closing tag (>) in the middle of the string? You can't do that.
Input tags can not have a closing tag for a transitional doctype. You declare a script but fail to use the type parameter as required by the transitional doctype.
Or value='modules/mod_hlclock/hlclock.swf?/> where you are missing a closing apostrophe? The parser tells you where your errors are. Look at the error messages, and then go look at your code.

#3 Zig!

Zig!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Ok thanks I will work on fixing that. I'm still learning this stuff so hopefully I don't mess up. Thank you for looking into this for me, I appreciate it.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

The other thing to remember is that just because a page is throwing errors doesn't necessarily mean is wrong; it just means that your code is not compliant with whichever doctype you chose to use. Using the "/>" closing tag is perfectly acceptable in strict html, but not in transitional. However the javascript errors can cause weird problems and need to be addressed. You would be better suited to moving all of your javascript functions to an external sheet, or moving them all up to the top where they should be (by convention).

#5 8100 Power

8100 Power

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

I did you create you site? Start with a company? Im just courious on how to start a nice site. Ive used freewebs. Im just looking for a more professinal one..

#6 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:35 PM

You can create a good site with Freewebs, where you host a site doesn't matter in how it's designed, that's up to you. Get a good handle on HTML and CSS and as long as you have a good head with design, the sky is the limit.

To get you started, you might want to look at these sites:

W3Schools' HTML Tutorial

W3Schools.com

[url="http://"http://www.html.net/"]Learn HTML and/or CSS plus tutorials[/url]

These are a good start. If you need ideas for your site, just browse the internet and get an idea with what styles are "in" and what you can bring to your own site.

If you need anymore help, I'd be glad to assist you in a more particular direction. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#7 8100 Power

8100 Power

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:41 AM

Noot, Very good sites! Thanks for your help! Im learning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users