Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Adras

Adras

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

I got a computer from my dad that used to work but was taken apart and now will not work. What happens when the power is turned on is everything will boot up but there is no video. I wasnt sure if this is the video card or I also read online that problems like that have been the processor too. The processor is an AMD and beyond that I dont know. The cooler is a Thermaltake Beetle that I put on. One of the things I read was that sometimes the thermal compound might drip over the edge if there was too much and could short out on the pins. I havent checked yet because I wanted to check the validity of that statement before I go tearing my computer apart. I know how to, its just annoying... I also havent been able to check the video card in another computer yet, but like I said, I want to check this with you guys before I go tearing everything apart again. If you have any ideas of things to test I would greatly appreciate it.

The other thing I wanted to ask, sort of pretaining to this is with the video card. It is a NVIDIA 6800 Ultra and was originally used as an SLI card. I have the SLI bridge and the shadow card, but I just wanted to know what is the proper setup with using only 1 video card on an SLI motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:19 PM

first of all, unplug your reset button from your mobo

check for blown/leaking/buldged capacitors

after that, test your psu (at work we have these really cool psu tester things, oppose to sticking voltmeter-things in all sorts of places)

note: just because a psu tests fine(voltage wise), doesnt mean its not faulty!

reseat all major componenets: cpu, ram, vidcard, check/replug and preferably swap cables(ide/sata), swap out ram and try different slots etc.

after, if still no go, try your general trial-and-error till you are left with nothing..

with the thermal compound - there shouldnt even be anywhere near enough placed on the cpu in the first place to be able to leak onto the board....

in regards to sli: afaik, you should just be able to plug ur vid card straight in and go from there (i have never setup sli or even used a pc that is using sli so sorry for my mis-informed advice :thumbsup:)
=)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:59 AM

Have you tried a different monitor, or are you sure that the monitor is working properly?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

If you have the monitor pluged into the vga or dvi on the graphics card try unhooking it and connect it to the original vga on the computer.

I know when i have refreshed windows the driver would reset to the original VGA and my monitor would be black because i have my monitor pluged into my video card VGA and there would be no video.

But as soon as i plugged it into my original comp VGA i would have video and then i would just have to disable my Intel graphics and Enable my Nvidia graphics so that way i would have video comming through my video card.

Thats the only time ive had a black monitor if this helps
But good luck
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:33 PM

I would check the connections first.

Then I would test the monitor by connecting it to a known good system. If it works, it can be ruled out.

At that point, I would focus on the video card/drivers/seating...and the power supply.

You get absolutely no sign of life on the monitor? Usually...if the monitor is good and there is no handoff between monitor and system...the monitor will display a visual message of some sort, IME.

Louis

#6 Adras

Adras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:04 AM

I've tried several monitors and I know they all work.

As for trying the onboard VGA, I dont recall there being one, but I will check next time I am at my dad's house.

I didnt put a whole lot of thermal compound on, but it was very runny and the heatsink slid around a little while I was trying to put everything together.

The power supply works fine, I tested it in a different computer.

I've also reseated everything except for the processor because I didnt have the tool handy. The mounting kit came with a special tool that makes it easier to unscrew the screws holding the heatsink down. I think I'll remove it, make sure no runny compound went anywhere and put some Arctic Silver on.

As for the monitor's reaction, every single one I've tried with the light goes orange as if the computer was on stand-by.

I guess after that I'll try reseating everything again and try some trial-and-error. If anyone has any more ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:07 AM

I always have spare video cards. If you have one or a different system with one..make that test.

OR if you have onboard video available, activate it and remove the current graphics card. If the card is bad, the onboard should work.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users