Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 skeney

skeney

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:24 PM

Hi guys,

My comp is telling me in order to run limewire I need to install Java 5.0 or newer so I am doing that but limewire still won't run.

What now ?

:thumbsup:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:21 PM

Hello, the first may be silly but I have to ask. have you rebooted?
Have removed the older java(s) from Control Panel>Add/Remove programs.
Have you checked that the firewall is not blocking LW.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 skeney

skeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:35 AM

Yup I have rebooted. I downloaded the updated at java.com but is that all I need to do to get java ? I deleted all of the older versions but maybe I deleted something I wasn't supposed to ? I'm not sure to check the firewall but I know on the other accounts on this computer limewire always worked, just not this account that I use.

#4 skeney

skeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

Is there maybe something I did wrong when I set up this account ? It seems really wierd, it also seems to have deleted my itunes when I set this account up. :thumbsup:

Edited by skeney, 24 October 2007 - 09:14 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

Download it from here,choose the correct Operating system, eg XP is the first one.
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Which account? The BC not likely

Uninstall the old Java and limewire,install the new Java then limewire.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 skeney

skeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

I have been downloading from there ... but I tried it again. I did as you said ... deleted and then downloadeed and reinstalled ... and I'm still getting the same stupid error message. Limewire failed to install java ... go to this site and download it ...

The account I am talking about is my login on the computer. We have the main account where this was all working and when I created my own account everything went stupid.

#7 skeney

skeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:33 PM

I also found where to check the firewall and limewire is not blocked ...

#8 skeney

skeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

Any other ideas ? :thumbsup:)

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

Sorry the last idea I have is for you to search and/or post some questions at the Limewire forum.
Gnutella Forums

I and many would be grateful if you would post back a solution should it be found.

Good Luck
boopme

#10 blueraider

blueraider

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

Best way that i found is to just turn off your firewall and it will install that way then turn your firewall back on when done.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:45 PM

The account I am talking about is my login on the computer. We have the main account where this was all working and when I created my own account everything went stupid.

Just so there is no confusion. Did you download Java using your account or the main administrator account? What permissions does 'your' account have? This is where the difficulty seems to lie. In that you may have two different different levels of permissions with 'your' account as compared to the administrator account. If you can clarify the differences in account permission levels and what actions you performed in each type of account we may be able to sort this all out.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 skeney

skeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

My account is computer administrator and so is the first account we made ... do you need more information than this ? And thank you for trying to help ... my iTunes has also decided not to work and I can't install that again either ... think my whole computer is shutting down on me. :thumbsup:

Oh and I downloaded Java using my account ...

Edited by skeney, 10 November 2007 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users