Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There A Way To Back Up Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pete07

Pete07

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

I'm about to re-format a PC that runs XP but don't want to loose the device drivers as we had just updated them. Is there a way to back them up??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:15 PM

Take a look at this WinDriversBackup

they will be available to you the next time you need to reinstall the driver or the whole operating system
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:47 AM

I've used this one with good results: http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=277

Another good site that I've recently found is the Driver Packs located at: http://www.driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/
B‚shrat the Sneaky has put a lot of work into assembling these packs - and they're a wonder when you're looking for a driver that you just can't find. Combine it with Unknown Devices and it takes most of the pain out of locating that elusive driver that you've been trying to find.

Edited by usasma, 25 October 2007 - 05:52 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:11 AM

Thanks so much. I'll look into each of them.

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

You could also try this site for Drivermax, Visit This Website

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

I've used this one with good results: http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=277

Another good site that I've recently found is the Driver Packs located at: http://www.driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/
B‚shrat the Sneaky has put a lot of work into assembling these packs - and they're a wonder when you're looking for a driver that you just can't find. Combine it with Unknown Devices and it takes most of the pain out of locating that elusive driver that you've been trying to find.

Hi again... lost my internet for several days, so wasn't able to respond.

I like the look of these driver packs, they sound like a great idea! How do I work out what drivers I need, or what "stuff" is in my computer that uses drivers? I know the basics like graphics, sound, etc... but I wouldn't have a clue what other items there are that would need them or how to check.

Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it & love learning all this stuff.

#7 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:10 AM

ok feeling *really* stupid asking this, but I downloaded some of the driver packs & they're all .7z files. What are those? I thought these would be standard zip files. I know how to work with a zip, but these have me totally confused as to what to do with them.

Thanks for any help.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:18 AM

These files are created with 7zip.
It's a file compression utility, like winzip.
It's open source software, so it's free:
7-Zip Home
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

Ahhh gotcha! Thanks so much!

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

You're welcome, Pete07.
Glad I could help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:35 PM

Actually, the driver packs were for those who just can't figger out what driver to use. They make it easy to skim through the drivers, trying different versions until they find one that works.

For most uses the link that I specified will backup your drivers without you having to know which one's - I suspect the links that others have posted will do the same thing. Just remember where you've stored them, so that you can find them later on when you have to use them! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the extra info USASMA.

I ended up downloading the driver packs because I'm having a problem with my computer freezing & crashing constantly.

I've re-formatted, so it's not a program causing it & I figured I'd try to update the drivers to see if that might help as someone I know had told me that if the drivers on my computer are out of date, that might cause it to freeze & crash. I had re-installed the old drivers, but the computer is still crashing, so maybe they do need updating?

I wouldn't know the first place to even begin looking for drivers & figured maybe this would be an easier option than trying to figure out how to hunt them down individually. (I certainly hope so!)

I hadn't posted about this problem as yet, so it probably didn't make sense that I'd downloaded them! I had hoped backing up my dirvers & re-formatting the PC would fix the crashing issue, but nope... no luck as yet! Thanks again for the help.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:04 AM

There's many things that could cause these issues. But updating the drivers is a good place to start. You can use the drivers from the Driver Pack - but you'll have to work your way through them to ensure you've got the proper one's installed. I'd suggest going to the website of the manufacturer of your PC to find the latest drivers that they offer.

But these aren't always the most current drivers available - you may be able to find newer versions from the manufacturer of each component. To do this you'll have to get the specifications of your system (usually available at the system manufacturer's website). Or, you can use this free utility to inventory the system - http://www.gtopala.com/index.html BUT, this isn't to be trusted 100%

Another place to try is visiting http://www.driveragent.com/ and do a free scan of your system (don't opt in to buy the downloads - you can get them for free from the manufacturers). As above, this isn't a 100% solution - but it will point you towards seeing which drivers are the most outdated.

All this having been said, have you checked your hardware? A hardware problem can cause issues that cause some of the problems that you've mentioned. Here's a couple of things (all free) to try:

1) A diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive (for most hard drives - if there isn't one for yours, use the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. If that doesn't work, then try the Seagate SeaTools) Most manufacturers have both Windows versions and bootable/DOS versions.
2) MemTest86 - a bootable diagnostic utility to test your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/

3) SiSoft Sandra Lite - http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264
A nice tool for checking the innards of your motherboard and system - must be run within Windows.

#14 Pete07

Pete07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:50 AM

Thanks for your reply. This information is a huge help!

My system is a custom build, so I don't have a specific manufaturer site I can go to, but I did do the scan at http://www.driveragent.com/ and it came up with 10 drivers that need updating - most of these I didn't even know existed, so I'm working on figuring out how to update those.

It said I need to update:

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

Imaging device
EPSON Stylus Photo RX630

System Devices
VIA Standard Host Bridge
VIA I/O APIC Interrupt Controller
VIA Standard Host Bridge
VIA Standard Host Bridge
VIA Standard Host Bridge
VIA Standard Host Bridge
VIA Standard Host Bridge

The only one on the list I have actually heard of is the printer one, I didn't even know the others existed! Apart from the Epsom printer driver, what item/s in the computer would the others be to do with? I don't know what IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers do, so I don't know where to start looking for the correct manufaturer... and I'm guessing the System Devices would be to do with my Motherboard?

I'm REALLY hoping this helps stop the crashing, I'm sick to death of losing my graphics work each time it freezes!

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:36 PM

In general the VIA drivers come in a 4in1 or 5in1 package that will take care of all the drivers that you found using DriverAgent.com - essentially, these are the chipset/motherboard drivers for your motherboard. You can most easily get them from the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard - or you can visit the Via website here and download the latest ones: http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users