Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Xp And Vista

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Redback

Redback

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

Three machines and a BT Home Hub. All three can use the Internet OK. PC A is connected by cable to hub and runs XP. Laptop B is wireless and runs Vista. Laptop C is wireless and runs XP. All three use the same workgroup MSHOME.

Laptop C can see shared folders on all machines
Laptop B can see Laptop C but wants to open Media Centre if I click on it and will not see PC A
PC A can see shared folders on Laptop C but not on Laptop B

I've tried every combination of the settings in the Network and Sharing Centre on the Vista Laptop B with the firewall on and off to no avail.
I've tried the email settings on the Vista Laptop B which work on PC A but I cannot collect the email.

I conclude this is a Vista problem - any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

sorry can you define "bt home hub"...now assuming that this hub has some sort of aerial hanging out, if not, how are the other wireless laptops connecting to pc a?

how are all pcs connected to the internet?

never hurts to check the ol event log, may provide some useful information.
=)

#3 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:40 AM

Assuming you have Network sharing and discovery properly enabled on the Vista system, and all systems have identical "workgroup" names -- it helps if you have identical User Names and Passwords for the systems that want to see each other -- especially where Vista is concerned.

The XP systems should be able to see Vista on the Network, if not access it, in any case. If it is not being "discovered" try this from XP: Start > Search > Computers or People > Computer > Vista's Computer name.

You also can try this on Vista if the attempt to access is getting "denied":

run gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > Accounts :: UNcheck Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only

You should also try to workout whether the problem is related to wireless settings. Since wireless routers have the ability to connect by wired connection -- if it is practical -- try it.

Othe issues may relate to router related encryption and passwords for wireless systems, known as "WEP".

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 25 October 2007 - 01:43 AM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users