Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Rescuing Some Files.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hiya. I'm trying to rescue files from the family computer, which just died (motherboard is shot). I took out the HDD and have it set as a slave to my personal comp, and I was able to extract most of my family's files from their respective "My Documents" folders. However, one of the accounts had the My Documents folder set to private. This presents a sort of problem, because I can't copy, cut, move, or open any of the files that she wants rescued. I can enter the private folders, but if I try anything with the files it gives me the "Access Denied: Make sure the drive is not full or write-protected and the file is not in use" message. It seems that there's no way to un-privatize those folders, and I can't put it back in the other computer. What can I do to circumvent the denial of access problem? Any help appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

There's a way :thumbsup:, How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Louis

#3 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:58 PM

uumm....

afaik, when the documents folder is set to private, its set to private

that means no external acces from anywhere but the account that its locked to...

otherwise - download and get going a copy of UBCD (http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/) or alternatly, recovery console.

boot into it, load up cmd:

(where x is, replace with your drive letter, also assumes you use the administrator account)

cd x:\documents and settings\user

cacls "my documents" /g administrator:f

of course if u cant get into the users folder, make it cacls user /g administrator:f

as i said, im pretty sure that if its private, it is really private...
=)

#4 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:54 PM

Thanks a ton Hamluis, It worked like a charm!

And Tristan, I have the drive from the broken computer hooked up a slave, so it's basically functioning like a giant flash drive. The OS boots from the main HDD, so I can't log into the accounts from the slave HDD. And surprisingly enough, that help file made it really easy to get into things that it says I shouldn't. It's just a matter of having an administrator account and reassigning who has what rights to what files. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:16 AM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users