Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Definitely Infected

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wayfarer

wayfarer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

I am hoping I could get some help.

Last night I got hit with a series of buffer overflow warnings from McAfee, then a few alerts about Trojans/Viruses from both Windows Defender and McAfee. I clicked to confirm the blocking of the viruses and buffer overflow when my whole computer froze up and shut down.

I restarted, it took a long time to boot up, and I got hit with the following warning from McAfee about a buffer overflow in "File C:\windows\system32.exe" before any of my desktop icons even showed up. I had the option (as usual) of Blocking or Allowing. I blocked it and closed the alert.

Within a minute or two I got the same alert and blocked it.

After that the desktop icons appeared and both Windows Defender and McAfee alerted me to the presence of spyware or viruses.

I logged off and restarted in Safe Mode and ran a McAfee scan. I should note here that this entire time, the cursor had an hourglass next to it. It took over 4 hours to scan my computer, and quarantined only 5 items. An alert also popped up that McAfee wasn't fully protecting the computer (the online protection was off, but the actual computer protection was still on). I also noticed that I had no Internet access.

I restarted and was confronted with the exact same sequence.

I logged off again and restarted in Safe Mode to run Windows Defender (1 item removed), and SpyBot (removed 33 items, but I could not update it because I had no Internet Connection).

Here's the problem (aside form the obvious): I can't download any new programs on the infected computer (I am currently using my wife's). I tried saving Super Anti-Spyware to disc and copying it to my computer, but it wouldn't work.

HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

Have you attempted a system restore while in safe mode?

From your post I am not sure if you were able to get SAS.exe onto the infected computer or not. Just wanted to tell you if it is on the infected computer it has to be installed while normal mode.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 wayfarer

wayfarer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:34 PM

Have you attempted a system restore while in safe mode?

From your post I am not sure if you were able to get SAS.exe onto the infected computer or not. Just wanted to tell you if it is on the infected computer it has to be installed while normal mode.

I did not attempt a system restore. I was hoping to avoid that since I can't remember the last time I set a restore point.

I tried to copy the SAS file onto the computer in both modes, and it wouldn't take for some reason.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

If your system restore was on/activated you should have many restore points. A restore point gets set everytime you boot or install updates,etc.
It is possible you will be blocked from restoring and it is no guarantee as to how much relief you will get from the malware. I think it is worth a try though if you have a good restore point before you noticed the infection.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 wayfarer

wayfarer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

If your system restore was on/activated you should have many restore points. A restore point gets set everytime you boot or install updates,etc.
It is possible you will be blocked from restoring and it is no guarantee as to how much relief you will get from the malware. I think it is worth a try though if you have a good restore point before you noticed the infection.

OK. I'll try it. Here's another question though.....

How do I do it? I know about restore points in theory, but I've never actually used one.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

Once in safe mode you can then access system restore just as you would normally from the Windows XP desktop (Start>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

Info on how to do system restore in link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

#7 wayfarer

wayfarer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

OK. I tried that in Safe Mode and I got the following response:

System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again.

I restarted in Safe Mode again and tried it again with the same response.

Do I try a System restore in Regular Mode?

#8 wayfarer

wayfarer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

I also just noticed that all of my protection from McAfee has been shut down.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:47 PM

I am afraid we have run out of options.
Depending on what you have on the computer that you don't want to lose, you have a decision to make as to where to wipe the harddrive and reinstall your OS and programs or take to a shop where they can hook up to another computer and attempt removing the malware.
Others will be looking at your topic here and you may want to wait for possibly another solution.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor Trojan. Backdoor Trojans, IRCBots and Infostealers are very dangerous because they provide a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans as part of an exploit to to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge. Read the Danger: Remote Access Trojans.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should immediately disconnect your computer from the Internet until your system is cleaned. All passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay and forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breech.

Although the backdoor Trojan has been identified and may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the backdoor Trojan has been removed the computer is now secure. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to reformat and reinstall the OS - "When should I re-format?".

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful. Let me know how you wish to proceed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users