Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb mini drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 myzr

myzr

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:35 PM

i have an iomega 1gig mini usb 2.0 installed on a k6 amd 128 memory and 4g hd. in the device manager it says it is installed and working properly but it do have an green ? mark on it. I can't seem to find it anywhere so I can't transfer files to it. i have been to iomega support faq's and usbman .com but have not found an answer. closet thing I have found is that it is incompatible because its 2.0 and I only have 1.1 usb. however it is suppose to work with either? thanks for any and all replys! os is win me

Edited by myzr, 14 February 2005 - 06:36 PM.

lm 10730

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:12 PM

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. It is true that USB is backward compatable-either version should work with the other one. I would like for you to try something.

Restart the computer with the device unplugged. When the computer finishes starting up, then plug it in and let me know what happens on the screen. If I am not mistaken, it should not need any drivers for it to work properly.

It is possible that it is already installed. If you already have it plugged in, and you would like to look for it without restarting the computer, try this: right-click the desktop -> click new shortcut. In the shortcut window, click browse. click My Computer, and see if it the drive is listed there. It will either be E: if you only have one CD/DVD drive, or it will be F: if you have two seperate CD/DVD drives. On the window that you clicked My Computer, cancel it. In the Location of the Item, type E: or F: (which ever one applys to you), and click next. Double-click the icon and see if it accesses your external drive.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:25 PM

JE.. thanks for the reply.. tried both suggestions. no luck finding drive.in the device manager. the green? mark is sitting on usb mass storage device.. I can't find any reference to iomega mini drive anywhere on my pc.
lm 10730

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:41 PM

Do you have another USB port to try it on?

#5 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:28 PM

yes I have to usb ports and have swithed back and forth between the two. still no icon.
lm 10730

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:36 PM

The manual on that drive says:

MINI CONTROL PANEL CONSOLE
The Mini Control Panel Console enables you to access your Iomega Mini USB drive to store and retrieve files, launch installed
applications and customize your Iomega Mini USB drive.

Do you have that installed?

General Description: Iomega Mini Control Panel gives you all of the tools you need to readily view and manage the data on your Iomega Mini USB drive. You can customize your Iomega Mini USB drive to make it more personal and easy to use

Iomega Mini Control Panel

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:02 AM

thanks .. I did try to use that and it did not work for me. however after looking at everything again. I saw that I had a differnt file than the one that you linked me to. so will try it and see. the other mini panel did not give me a icon to open the drive. I shall let you know what this one looks like..
lm 10730

#8 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:47 AM

Leurgy and JE Services
thanks for the help. after re-downloading and restarting PC the mini control panel started working as it is suppose to. I now have a means to back-up 8years of pictures of the grand-babies and kids and thats what I call my critical data. I was almost ready to use about 500 floppy's

Edited by myzr, 15 February 2005 - 01:47 AM.

lm 10730

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:43 AM

Thats great myrz and thanks for posting back. Its always nice to save some floppies, there's enough people saving the whales already. :thumbsup:

I suppose you are aware the you could burn those to a CD also, assuming you have a CD-R.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:12 PM

Leurgy
yes a burner would be nice. however I do not have one. hope to soon with a new pc. backing up my pictures was a small step toward that goal.now I can network my new pc with this old bleeping computer and if need be reformat the old one with an upgrade to xp. thanks again for your help!
sometime in the future.. :thumbsup:
lm 10730

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:14 PM

You are welcome for the help. When you are looking forward to a hardware update, let us know. We can help out if any problems arise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users