Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP, changing username issue...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Name9902

Name9902

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:07 PM

Here's the deal...I recently changed the admin username on my comp to something new. The problem is that the folder under documents & settings never changed its title to the new username. Under documents & settings there are a few folders, such as "All Users" and "Default User", aswell as folders listed as whatever your username is. This is the folder i wish to change, but every time i try to rename it i get the message "blah blah blah is a system folder and is required for Windows to run properly, it cannot be removed or renamed"

Any ideas on how to fix this problem w/o reinstalling?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:45 PM

Hi. Welcome to BC. :thumbsup:

So if I understand correctly you have changed the name of a user account with Administrative priviledges in the Control Panel? Did the name change there? But the folder in Windows Explorer didn't change? Have you rebooted yet?

Are you able to log into the account with the changed name?

Are you running XP Home or Pro?

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:59 AM

Hi Name, :thumbsup: to BC. :flowers:

I had this problem before and have since learned to create a new admin account for myself and then delete the owner account whenever I reformat. This doesn't help you any right now though as you want to avoid that hassle.

You might want to try creating a new admin account and transferring the data from the old one over to the new one. This may involve a little work, but is certainly less of a problem than reformatting is.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;811151

Make sure to change the name of the old account before creating the new one or you may end up with the same problem again. Make sure everything is working correctly after the transfer before you delete the old account.

Edited by Ronbo, 16 February 2005 - 02:00 AM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users