Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cwdk2001

cwdk2001

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

Hello I am running windows xp home edition with the service pack 2 upgrade I have a linksys router and a cable modem I also have a small network of three computers going. I do not use the firewall that comes with service pack 2 on the computer however when I run bearshare it says it is firewalled I set up a DMZ and got the same response so I called Linksys after a long conversation we tried to upgrade the firmware but it wouldn't let us we managed to get it installed on the second computer which is the server I also should add it dosn't make a difference if the firewall is down on that computer or not he even had me diable the antivirus on both computers no luck. I checked my Add/Remove programs for any foregien software and removed it. Now I am stumped any suggestion Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:26 PM

It could very well be your linksys itself that is causing the problem. The linksys acts like a firewall as well, which makes it so others may have problerms connecting directly to your computer.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:00 PM

If you have the free version of BearShare you have some bundled spyware according to this site.

Having said that you will need to map the ports through the router that your P2P program requires in order to make it work. What model Linksys do you have? I have the BEFSR41 and had to map the ports for both WinMX and Shareaza.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 cwdk2001

cwdk2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:31 PM

I have a BEFSR41 ver 3 I have tried mapping the ports and running spyware programs I even tried to set up a DMZ but it didn't work do you have any other suggestions

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:46 PM

If you removed the spyware from bearshare that might have something to do with it. Try using a clean p2p program.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 cwdk2001

cwdk2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:48 AM

I removed the spy ware with ad-aware a long time ago so I don't think that is the problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users