Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything Is Going Wrong!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DreadZer0

DreadZer0

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:00 AM

I re-installed my copy of windows xp on my pc and now i can't use any of my programs execpt firefox! can anyone help?

Whenever i try to use anything it always comes up with "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You might not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:10 AM

After you reinstalled XP did you then reinstall all your programs? Did you install all the device drivers?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:25 AM

And when you reinstalled XP, did you do a reformat, repair install, or just install? If you did the last option, then what you really did was installed a second copy of XP. Look in your windows explorer and make sure that you do not have two folders named windows and windows1. What happens is that your applications that were installed with one copy of Windows are not accessible to the other copy of Windows due to permissions.

#4 DreadZer0

DreadZer0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

in response to groovicus's question: i only did a repair install on windows XP pro. I know this problem is sometimes associated with networks, i am on a simple LAN which is going through a router and said router is only connected to my pc and my Xbox 360.

and besides that, now whenever i log on to my computer it logs me straight back off again, unless i start xp in safe mode, then do system restore (taking about 1/2 an hour) and then log in. only to go straight back to the aforementioned predicament after i next turn on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users