Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Kaspersky Internet Security Suite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gasmask

gasmask

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:30 AM

i just recently got broadband and was previously running on a 56k modem.
i also got a new computer at the time and someone installed Kaspersky Internet Security Suite onto it. i thought everything was good because the broadband was running really fast for a couple of days, but starting yesterday it began to run slower. i had no idea what was causing this (i have no knowledge of computers) but now my internet is only barely faster than a 56k connection.

i went into windows task manager and realised that the file avp.exe was occasionally taking up a lot of memory, so i ran a search on it and found out that it is infact a malicious program??

it is part of the Kaspersky Security so should i just uninstall the whole program and just ignore internet security??
the only time i ever download anything is from official sites and from itunes, i don't use Limewire or anything and i receive about 4 emails a month. so do i even need internet security or will my computer still be at risk.

i know all of this probably sounds retarded but please could somebody help me. i am clueless about this and it's lucky i found this forum.

if it's any help i am also using firefox.

thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

Moved to a more appropriate forum from the Email and web browser forum.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:03 PM

i went into windows task manager and realised that the file avp.exe was occasionally taking up a lot of memory, so i ran a search on it and found out that it is infact a malicious program??

there is an avp.exe that is a malicious program, yes. However, there is a legitimate avp.exe that is part of Kaspersky, which is most likely the one you have. If you want to check, have a look at where the file is located (search for the file). If it is in the system32 folder then it could be the virus, and then upload it to Jotti or VirusTotal to check it out. If it is a Kaspersky folder in Program Files, then it is perfectly legit.

it is part of the Kaspersky Security so should I just uninstall the whole program and just ignore internet security??
the only time i ever download anything is from official sites and from itunes, i don't use Limewire or anything and i receive about 4 emails a month. so do i even need internet security or will my computer still be at risk.

No, do not ignore internet security. It is crucial, regardless of what you download or how many emails you receive. Make sure you have at one (and only one) Firewall and one (and only one) AntiVirus installed and running. I believe the Kaspersky security suite has both of these, so that is fine. Make sure it is updated regularly.

As for your slow computer, have a look at this checklist:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

and see if theres anything there that can help you.

Hope some of that info helps,

jpshortstuff
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

If you do a Google search, you will find a lot of similar reports about this issue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users