Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:12 AM

I've read ksmart's post (which you guys gave some great advice I might add) and didn't want to hijack his post by asking my own questions about a similar subject.
So here goes

I'm in the same camp as ksmart - i need to build a new comp but aren't interested in gaming at all so the options I've been reading are also too slanted towards gaming.

Just a few other questions to follow on from ksmarts post......
.......and I realize all this depends on the MoBo type but some help here would point me in the right direction for a MoBo too......

Processors ?

Intel or AMD????
You mentioned "Dual Core" & "Quad Core" - I've only seen Quad Core mentioned with "Intel" processors. Do AMD have an equivalent?

RAM....

Matched?
DDR II?
DDR III?
Corsair - Geil - Kingmax/Kingston - Patriot or just OEM stuff ???????
All very confusing !

Video Cards....

AGP
PCI
PCI Express ?????
128meg / 256meg ETC
Again I know depends on MoBo type - maybe I should have started with that !! - can't be bothered typing all this again now - past my bed time :-)

Sound....

I play a lot of music through my sound system, so on-board is not my cup of tea! - or has that come of age now too?

........and then we get to MoBo's......now there's another couple of weeks of research :huh:

So many to choose from and so many different options and when you read all the "Guff" that comes with them they all tell you there's is the best MoBo ever produced !!! B) Yeah right...I'm not that gullible thats why I'm asking you guys at BC.

I have had ASUS in the past and think I'd like to stick with them but am open to suggestions?

That's enough for now...
Oh yeah.......I'm currently running Win XP but thinking to upgrade to Vista...(i'll even buy a copy this time :huh:)......what version ??? buggered if I know.....never seen it in action, don't even know what it looks like ... but I know there are a few flavors out now so help with that too please - greatly appreciated it would be :thumbsup:

Cheers
JTH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:18 PM

You mentioned not gaming but before we get into the nitty gritty details, what are you going to do with this machine?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

Yeah sorry - should have mentioned that in the first post.

I've just got on to an ADSL2+ connection so I want to get into SKYPE and webcaming with family overseas.
I download lots of torrent files (mostly video) in .avi format then recode them using various programs to DVD format etc and then transfer them across to my external HD connected to a media system.

I do a bit of music editing and insert it on to power point shows and would like also to get into building my own backing tracks for my guitar. Where to start with that I'm not really sure - another question on another post perhaps!

When I said I don't do any gaming thats not quite true as I play a lot of on line poker but even the on-board video on an old socket A MoBo takes care of that so just a mid range V Card will do I guess.

Other than that lots of surfing - oh, and the very occasional pr0n file - no honest :thumbsup:

With a new machine that's got a bit of grunt I'm sure I'll get into more processor hungry apps though.

Hope that helps.

BTW - I'm in Australia so please forgive the slow response times but the time difference kinda hinders it. Have a great evening.

Cheers
JTH

#4 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

whats your budget?

amd is a tad cheaper, but intel has the better performance, blah blah blah, personal opinion.

vid card = pci-e u cud get away with something like a 2600xt/8600gt even.

ram = well honestly i have had to RMA more corsair/g.skill/geil then generic stuff over the last year so...hard to not-choose-wisely so to say..

mobo = again personal preference. these days most mobos pretty much come with everything u need onboard. i tend to stay away from asus (due to lots of doa/rma situations) and havent had any issues with gigabyte/msi and in some cases, asrock

rest is pretty self explanitory..

for the vista version, i wud say go home premium unless u need to join a domain or suttings, which in that case go ultimate..

but for what u want the box for, u cud do it extremely cheap. i myself just upgraded my box(mobo cpu ram case psu vidcard) for 1500, but its pretty decent. on the other hand, i also just built my mate a pc, monitor kb+mouse speakers the whole lot for 600(and its not that bad of a system eaither!) so....

note:prices in aussie dollar

edit:added mobo

Edited by 4ward_tristan, 23 October 2007 - 05:53 PM.

=)

#5 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for your concise reply 4ward_tristan,

Budget is around $1000 give or take.

Up to $150 for a Vid Card - there seem to be bucket loads in that price bracket .......
......perhaps something like this...Gigabyte NX8500GT 512MB DSUB TV-OUT DVI - I PCI Express

Asrock seem to be making inroads in the MoBo market but I'm always cautious at there prices....seem too cheap for what they claim to do??

Cheers

Edited by JackTheHaack, 24 October 2007 - 05:34 PM.

JTH

#6 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:18 PM

How serious are you about your audio?

I have a couple interfaces myself and have spent upwards of $1000 on them alone, but those are more used for music recording, editing, mixing and producing :thumbsup: , and are connected via either usb or firewire (the latter being faster and more expensive).

If you are simply listening to music, look for an internal or pci audio interface with an optical output and you really can't go wrong. With that you simply patch into your favourite amp/reciever which can then decode the signal and give you surround, stereo or whatever you desire.

Edited by mike b, 24 October 2007 - 06:18 PM.

music, music music...

#7 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

"Asrock seem to be making inroads in the MoBo market but I'm always cautious at there prices....seem too cheap for what they claim to do??"

asrock is a subsidery of asus - they specifically make "budget" mobos..things like it has a pretty "basic" bios etc, but they are perfect if you are building a budget pc :thumbsup:

yeah that vid card is good enough - the price performance ratio is more then acceptable :huh:
=)

#8 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:21 AM

Wow mike_b,

You sound like a serious music dude !! :huh: :thumbsup:

I would love to chat with you about a heap of stuff.....can I PM you my email addy ?

4ward_tristan ,

Thanks for the heads up on the Ausrock gear......think I'll go with your suggestion of a gigabyte or an msi board ......
Now the journey starts........

Thanks again guys.......I'll keep you posted :huh:
JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users