Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beginner Networking Help?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CharlotteB

CharlotteB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:33 AM

Hi :thumbsup:

I've been using a computer for some years and while I know some things, there is a lot that I don't. I'm still a beginner that would appreciate some help/education.

I have an 8-year old PC desk unit that has WIN 98 SE. I have a cable modem. I have a CD/DVD Rom player, a zip drive and a floppy disk drive as well as a printer/scanner. I don't have a CD burner or any other major accessories. I would like to buy an inexpensive (possibly refurbished) laptop that would enable me to take it and move freely throughout my home and still have internet access via my cable modem as well as the ability to use Word97, create and save a document, take whatever way/media I saved it on with the laptop to my desktop PC and be able to print that saved document.

Is there a wireless way for me to connect a laptop to the cable modem at the same time with the desktop PC so I won't have to deal with any cords or plug-ins while I move around my home with the laptop? I have a vague idea some kind of router will be needed, but I don't know a lot about how that works yet.

At the moment I don't want to upgrade anything about my desktop unit. Is there anything about it that I would need to check to make sure I have in order for it to share the cable modem and possibly interact with the laptop?

TIA for any help you may be able to provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hello Charlotte,

Bascily what u need to do is: 1-Get a wireless Router
2-Connect the Cable modem to the router, anf the desktop PC to the router.
3-configure the router and the PC.

connecting and configuring the router and the PC maybe hard for you.You will need the help of a techie friend of yours.

For exemple you will probably need the get the configuration settings of the router form your ISP and than access the router from the desktop PC after connecting it in a right way....

Thats all i can say regarding the info you have provided.

Good Luck. ;)

Edited by Wassim, 23 October 2007 - 02:25 PM.

"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users