Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rangz

Rangz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:14 AM

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is in the right section, but I've been told by a couple of guys that I've probably either got a video or motherboard problem.

Here's the deal;

Was working on my computer last night - importing a cd into iTunes when the computer suddenly shut down and restarted. However, when the PC restarted, the monitor wouldn't recognise that the computer was restarting. Basically the screen would be black (as if the computer were shut down) yet the computer would be on.

I fiddled around with a few things (not knowing what the problem was) and eventually the screen started up on one of my restarts. Thinking I had a virus, I started to run Norton but about a minute into the sweep the computer restarted again, only this time I've been unable to get anything on my monitor.

I'm on my work computer at the moment, so I'm not sure on specifics of my system. Apologies for the lack of help in that regard, but hopefully someone is familiar with what I'm talking about.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:32 PM

Welcome to BC
Try another monitor if possible. Possibly a heat issue. Make sure the CPU heat sink is clean, blow it clean with canned air and make sure the fan works. If you have a video card, try re-seating it and check it's fan/heatsink for dust. Could also be a power supply
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:34 PM

Good question, Mark :thumbsup:.

I prefer monetary compensation, just as I would get if I were gainfully employed for such things :flowers:.

Answers For Sale will be the name of my business...next year, I expand to the collegiate level of homework assignments.

Louis

I don't know how it happened...but this post belongs somewhere else (homework thread). Maybe I had two windows open (actually, I don't think that's possible) but apologies to everyone for the misplacement).

Edited 2051, 23 Oct 07

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2007 - 08:54 PM.

#4 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:10 PM

elaborating on garmanma's suggestions-

re-seat memory and run a memtest (www.memtest.org)

check for loose cables (ide/sata/power(you would be suprised!!))

also, if it happens again and u cant get it back, pull our your reset button from your mobo and yeah...

goodluck
=)

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

"Good question, Mark smile.gif.

I prefer monetary compensation, just as I would get if I were gainfully employed for such things smile.gif.

Answers For Sale will be the name of my business...next year, I expand to the collegiate level of homework assignments.

Louis

Sorry, you lost me on that one :thumbsup:
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 23 October 2007 - 07:26 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Rangz

Rangz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:05 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help. I brought my HD into the tech guys at work and they plugged it into another monitor and it worked fine, menaing it could be my monitor or some problem with the power supply at home.

Cheers again.

#7 Rangz

Rangz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

Hi again guys,

Turns out I had my pc and monitor plugged into the world's oldest power board and that I was overloading it every time I tried to do more than one thing at a time.

Power board replaced - problem solved!.

Feel free to lock this thread and tell me to check the stupid things before I post here and waste people's time :thumbsup:

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. There may be someone out there that can learn from your experience. We appreciate you posting your solution. Glad you got it all working again :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users