Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard/mouse Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redzer0x

redzer0x

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:52 PM

I had to post a new topic on this because of endless searching of other threads did not seem to help.

My problem is when ever I boot up my comp i have to press f2 to continue loading windows and since I am able to do so I assume my keyboard is working. Once windows boots up i can move my mouse but as soon as i press any button on my keyboard both the mouse and keyboard stop functioning. The Keyboard light is still on and I know its recieving power once I put the comp back into standby mode and disconnect the keyboard the mouse works once again. I checked in device manager and I noticed that the keyboard multimedia ps/2 keyboard had a exclamation point saying cannot load driver driver my be corrupt etc etc code 39. I tried to uninstall the device do a device search and reinstall and ended up with the same error. I also tried to uninstall the device and reboot the comp with the keyboard on and still same error. System restore also failed on me and I even tried reinstalling the driver and that failed as well so now im starting to lose hope.

*I noticed that when i boot up in system recovery and try and type I can type 1 letter before the keyboard dies on me.

I do not know if this is a hardware problem or virus problem ive ran spybot scans and antivirus scans with avg antivirus and still no luck.

If there is anyone that can help please do so it will be greatly appreciated Ill be on refreshing this thread for new posts for the new couple hours I hope some help comes soon.

System spec:

Hp Pavilion

AMD athlon 64 X2dual core 3800+

2ghz 960mb ram

running on windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:21 AM

My recommendation would be to replace the real time clock battery. It is the nickle/dime sized button battery inside the computer. You also need to check the ps2 connector to make sure that all the pins (six) are straight and none have broken off. If any have broken off you will need to replace the keyboard. In this tutorial is a little section on replacing the CMOS battery
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 redzer0x

redzer0x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:25 AM

the keyboards are fine cause they work on my other tower. What does the clock have to do with this?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:40 AM

If the correct settings are not stored in the bios (the message press F2 to continue), windows has been known to have trouble identifying or installing the keyboard correctly.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users