Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching User + Multiple Instances

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Savage Guy

Savage Guy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:02 PM

My problem is I need to have 2+ programs running that are normally a single instance only application. I've been trying to simply fast user switch and let them run in the background. I can log in fine on any of my accounts when it is my first log in (after boot) however; when I go to switch user it will bring me back to the account selection menu but it will claim I have a password for every account. This is not true as I created a few tests ones without a password and can be logged into fine on boot. It will display a password field however nothing works.. accounts that do have a password never work either regardless of the fact that the password is correct. I am running xp home sp 1, sp2 is not possible as I am on a 3200+ machine. Any suggestions?

My next train of thought is perhaps there is an easier way to run 2 programs which are designed to be single instance applications. Using run-as does not work and I can't seem to locate any resources on this front. Perhaps editing memory? I would give that a shot as I've done some basic editing to get odd things like this to work in the past but dealing with windows I have no idea where I'd start.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Savage Guy

Savage Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

Bump

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

Welcome to BC
Let me see if I understand this. Are you using the same application on 2 user accounts and you're switching between accounts entering data or whatever? Can you tell us the program(s) you are using?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Savage Guy

Savage Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:45 PM

I -want- to use the same application on 2 user accounts, or any other possible way. I looked into VMWare but almost all the help seems geared towards running windows on Linux or the other way around. The program I am trying to run more then one instance of is a data collection program, however you are forced to narrow your data to a limited amount. Using 2+ instances would allow myself to have 2x+ the information. Don't worry, it isn't harvesting e-mails or anything like that. I'm sure the user switching would work fine however it will not work correctly for me, hence my problem.

Thanks!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:08 AM

I'll look later but I bet sourceforge.net might have something to suit your needs
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Savage Guy

Savage Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:00 AM

Thanks. I took a quick look at sourceforge but I wasn't able to come up with anything. I'm usually pretty good locating things on the web but this one is different. Most search results are bringing up programs to run yahoo messenger multiple times or google talk.

#7 Savage Guy

Savage Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:18 PM

Oddly enough, today my windows decided to crap out on me (insta reboot from loading screen) so I was forced to re-install. My fast user switching seems to be working correctly now so it looks like I had more serious issues with windows then just that. Now back to installing drivers.. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users