Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Nic's

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spearball

spearball

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

How can i properly setup dual nics on a linux machine so internet goes in one and out the other. I have fedora running. I mean what am i supposed to enter as my ips and subnets, etc. Thanks

Heres my setup.

Modem, linux box, router which i made into a switch, other computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

The general idea is to configure the NIC that has an internet connection incoming on it(where you plugged the cable) with the settings provided by your ISP.This will make internet woking on the Linux machine.

As for the second NIC You could give it and IP adrress :192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask:255.255.255.0 and the DNS:192.168.0.1.
Now on the other computers put same settings but increase the last number of the IP by one on each different computer.Ex:2nd PC 192.168.0.2, 3rd PC 192.168.0.3 with all pcs having as subnet masks:255.255.255.0 and the default gateway 192.168.0.1 and the DNS 192.168.0.1.

And i guess u need to enable Internet connection sharing on the Linux machine wish i dont know how to do on Fedora.

This way is guaranted to work on Windows ( i am using this way).maybe it might need some twists or diffrent setting to work on Fedora.

Of course since ur using a switch all the cabling should be straight.

By the way, what OS are you using on the other PCs??
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users