Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag Woes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greenjeans63

greenjeans63

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

Hello, All......
I have a question about Defrag. I've tried to run it today, and in doing so, I have a quick flash of the DOS screen and that's it. When I open Scheduled Tasks and view the log, it tells me Defrag finished with an error code of (2). Now, I know that this particular error translated is (quote); "The disk contained no free clusters. To operate, DEFRAG needs 1 free
cluster."
Can you tell me exactly what that means, and how do I go about freeing up clusters to get this booger to run right? I just finished a clean reinstall about 3 weeks ago, and since my puter is so sluggy at times, I thought I'd try the defrag. Any ideas? I do have HJT and also Belarc Advisor, if that helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:27 AM

How big is your hard drive and how much free space do you have? Defrag normally needs 15% free space on the drive to run correctly.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 greenjeans63

greenjeans63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:58 AM

Hi Budapest.........
My hard drive is 32.8 and my free space is 27.6, so it's like 83% free. I did a little intense cleaning this morning so I'm gonna try to run defrag again. Will post back with "yah" or "nay".

#4 greenjeans63

greenjeans63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hello again, Budapest....
Just letting you know defrag ran without a hitch. So sorry to trouble you with what turned out to be a minor problem. Just for my own satisfaction, tho; if I hadn't been able to get it going, how does one go about freeing up clusters? Is it a matter of running all the cleaning utilities? I might know what to do for it if it happens again.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

Freeing up clusters is the same as deleting files - the more you delete, the more clusters that you free up. I suspect that there was a fragmented file that was too big to be successfully defragged due to the fragmentation of your disk - freeing up the clusters enabled it to complete the job.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 greenjeans63

greenjeans63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:29 AM

Hey
Many thanks to Budapest and usasma for your quick responses. I'm happy it turned out to be a small (temporary) problem, but I appreciate your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users