Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Not Boot To Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Confused X 2

Confused X 2

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:00 PM

I have big trouble. My computer at work will not boot to Windows. It happened today after the circuit breaker in the building tripped. I reset the breaker and turned my computer back on. It showed the Dell logo then a black screen. Tried it a few more times with no luck. I tried to boot to safe mode and it got to the screen that shows files and would not go any further. I pressed F12 at the Dell screen and diaged the hard drive with the utility and went to the symptom table and diaged the (will not boot OS) option. All test passed. I may be way off base but I am thinking maybe a corrupted file. I do not have the Windows disc that came with the computer but I do have an unused reinstall disc that has never been used. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Can I use the disc to repair corrupt files even though it didn't come with my computer?

Dell 8300
XP Professional
Service Pack 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:30 AM

Did you try "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Safe Mode menu?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Confused X 2

Confused X 2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:08 AM

Just tried that and went to the same black screen.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:21 AM

Depending on what sort of disk you have you could try a repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

I would find out from Dell...if I could access the Recovery Console via their disk.

If so, I would try the fixboot or fixmbr command (hoping for the best).

If not, I would try to borrow an XP CD that could be used (properly) with my license to access the RC and/or do a repair install.

One thing I have experienced with this black screen thing...sometimes the NTFS file system becomes corrupt. There are supposed to be fixes for this (of which I've tried several), but I have always wound up having to a clean install to overcome that particular situation.

Louis

#6 Confused X 2

Confused X 2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:58 PM

Narrowed the problem down to the hard drive. I swapped it in a working computer. The working computer did the exact same black screen and the screwed up computer booted into Windows. So, I stopped on the way home and bought a new hard drive. Now I can not install the OS to the new hard drive. I have gone into set up and made sure "installing new OS enabled". It does not recognize any drives. The CD does not do anything. I even tried setting the new one up as master and the old one as slave, same result. What really sucks is this is a computer that I use at work daily and all the time.

#7 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:52 AM

hhmmm

i would be getting *all* of the hardware in your box tested.

especially the psu, ram and stress test ur mobo
=)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:09 AM

Sooo...you are saying that you can get into the BIOS...but the BIOS does not reflect any drives or pertinent info?

Have you considered replacing the CMOS battery? Tried all the default CMOS settings?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users