Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programfiles/verizononline/bin/mad.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Big Los

Big Los

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

Hello everyone, I have HP desktop with windows xp media edition. Every time i turn the pc on i get the following pop up:"Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\VerizonOnline\bin\mad.exe

abnormal program termination"

I'll like to know what that is and how to get rid of it? I realize this might've been asked before here, but there's so much info, that I'm having a info overdose :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Los

PS: I hope it ain't that my pc will get EXEcuted by some MAD hacker!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:47 AM

I find the line, "C:\Program Files\VerizonOnline\bin\mad.exe, suspect. The "mad.exe" is a legitimate Microsoft program, associated with Microsoft's Exchange Server software.
Are you also running MS Exchange Server on that computer? I doubt it, but I have to ask.

The System Attendant (MAD.EXE) is the first service to start. Its key functions include calculating the routing tables and performing background maintenance tasks on the Exchange databases. The Directory Service (DSAMAIN.EXE), Information Store (STORE.EXE) and Message Transfer Agent (EMSMTA.EXE) all interact with each other. They have startup dependencies as shown by the startup order of each.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Big Los

Big Los
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:27 PM

I find the line, "C:\Program Files\VerizonOnline\bin\mad.exe, suspect. The "mad.exe" is a legitimate Microsoft program, associated with Microsoft's Exchange Server software.
Are you also running MS Exchange Server on that computer? I doubt it, but I have to ask.

Thanks for replying acklan.... no I'm not running a server that i know of. But it's good 2 know what the file is. And may i ask you Y u r suspicious about the rest of the file name?

The System Attendant (MAD.EXE) is the first service to start. Its key functions include calculating the routing tables and performing background maintenance tasks on the Exchange databases. The Directory Service (DSAMAIN.EXE), Information Store (STORE.EXE) and Message Transfer Agent (EMSMTA.EXE) all interact with each other. They have startup dependencies as shown by the startup order of each.

And as for the above, I'll like to said that it makes perfect sense to me. When in reality I wouldn't even know where to access these files, unless i get step by step instructions. It's just so annoying to get this pop-up every time i turn on the pc :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for replying acklan.... no I'm not running a server that i know of. But it's good 2 know what the file is. And may i ask you Y u r suspicious about the rest of the file name?

My suspicions are that, I do not see a reason why a MS Exchange Server file should reside under and folder other the MS Exchange Server folder. This would lead me to believe this is a malicious or suspicious file. Do you have an antivirus, firewall and\or antispyware(s) programs installed and running actively on your system?

And as for the above, I'll like to said that it makes perfect sense to me. When in reality I wouldn't even know where to access these files, unless i get step by step instructions. It's just so annoying to get this pop-up every time i turn on the pc :thumbsup:

If you did not click on he hyperlink Mad.exe. Click on it. It contains the detailed instruction you were referring to.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users