Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Upgrade Clean Install Over?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix_124

phoenix_124

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone know when microsoft will put a stop into the clean install using Vista upgrade disc. I heard it will be included in Windows Vista SP1, but wondering from other sources for a better accurate answer. Will Microsoft put a stop to this walk-around. If so, will the millions of copies already sold be affected by the patch, or only recent ones after SP1. I want to do the walk-around as I have a upgrade disc in March of 2008, but wanna make sure that would be possible at that time. Thanks!
Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

Today at work we tried the workaround with a Windows Anytime Upgrade disk - and it wouldn't work until Vista Home Premium was activated - then we were able to complete the upgrade to Ultimate. It didn't work within Windows or when booting from the DVD. We ended up doing the upgrade (rather than the clean install) to preserve the Windows.old directory on his hard drive - but the option to do the Custom install was available after activation.

OTOH - one of the techs still uses this method to install Vista at home (he reformats rather than removing the malware he gets) and doesn't have any issues with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

When Windows was activated? Aren't you required to install trial version and upgrade from that? What do you mean it doesn't work? I'm a home user and I wanting to upgrade (yet clean install) to Vista Home Premium. Is the workaround still possible or did microsoft fixed it. Do you believe that they'll fix it from SP1? Thanks for the info, but I might of not understand, or confused myself.
Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:00 PM

I believe that the workaround is just that, an unintended and undocumented consequence of how Microsoft designed the OS. As there's no documentation, the only way to get info on it would be from people who've tried it.

I have no clue if this is a peculiarity of the Anytime Upgrade disk - or if it applies to Vista in general.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users