Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office 2007 Encountered An Error During Installation?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jm99

jm99

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

I recently got a copy of Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007, but so far I haven't had any luck installing it. My first problem is that while my wife needs 2007 for school, I need a special plug in for work that is only compatible with 2000. A co-worker said that the easiest way to do it (at least for Office XP and 2003) is to simply install 07 to a different folder than the default. This way you'd still have both versions. After doing that, when I tried to open Word 2000, the Windows installer would come up, and "finish installing" office 2000. When I tried to open 2007, the same thing happened. So realizing that something had gone wrong, I looked around on the net and found that you're supposed to simply tell the 07 installer to the keep older version of office, and it should go fine. So I uninstalled 07, then opened 2K to see if it still worked, and got the error "This is not a valid Windows install package". Figuring the best thing to do was to uninstall both versions and start over, I tried that, but got that same error when I tried to uninstall it. Next I tried that feat of MS engineering, System Restore, to go back to a point before I tried installing anything, and while it claimed the restore was successful, I still got the invalid install package error. After trying a bunch of different things I finally got 2K working again, but when I tried to install 07 the correct way, at about 50% I get "Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 encountered an error during installation". There's no error code with it to give any idea what the error is, and the event viewer simply has the entry, "Installation Failed". MS's site recommends going into a command prompt, finding and deleting a file called "rgstrtn.lck", however looking for that simply gives me "file not found" I've tried deleting the error log from the install, copying the files from the cd to the hard drive before installing, running the Disk Cleanup utility to clear any temp files, even defragging the hard drive, all things that are recommended if you run into any errors when installing office to fix the problem, but I still get the error "Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 encountered an error during installation". Has anyone else out there run into this problem, and if so is there any fix to get both to work other than formatting the whole drive and starting from scratch?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jm99

jm99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:20 AM

Well, Microsoft finally posted a fix for this problem. If anyone else happens to run into this same problem, here's the link to the procedure.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

It takes some time, and not all of the files will or registry keys will be there, but at least now I can actually use the programs I need.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for posting back with that!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 davewad

davewad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

I had the same problem , tried all the reg hacks and uninstall progs but had no luck .... fixed problem by installing .net framework 3.5 sp1

office then installed fine

hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users