Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

" Dead Or Frozen" Programs & Applications In Xp Sp2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stankllim

stankllim

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:51 PM

Hi I am back again ,my last problem (30 july) was about "Blank Screen" which, as I reported was solved.
Now , here is the cause of my new headache.

My machine PC, PBell i Xtreme 2601 with Windows XP Home SP2, AMD Athlon XP2600+, 80Gb HD,1GB RAM,IEX (?) & M.Firefox 2.07, AVG 7.5 ,

Adw.Wind.Care V2.5, Ad Aware, SpybotSearch&Desstroy, TreatFire, Hitman-Pro, WindowsFirewall .

I work with a Motorola (cable)modem and E-Tech(RTBRO5) router.

I have been cleaning up previous owners "leftovers" on this machine.

With "help"of some Registry Cleaners and Optimizers, I have ventured into the registry, and removed files and other items on the Cleaners

advise. That is , the highlighted items by the "cleaner". I know beter now to be verry carefull with working in the Registry.

So far everything was (so/so) tolerable, but some "leftovers"were still there and to remove them, I went to System Restore

in P.Bells SmartRestore. In result IEX and OEX disapeared and while later I reinstalled same, the PBell versions apeared but in PB"colours".
Since then I have reloaded some essential programs, to make it workable.
Now. The"dead programs": In the Start menue in <All programs>, when klicking on the Icons,shows"EMPTY"and a window/baloon apears saying
"Program not Avialable". However in <All Programms> and in <CCleaner> all of previously istalled programs are listed together with given size.
My problem is, how to restore the programs in the Start menue (All Progr) as icons. Hope this will not be a Gargantuan Task
Awaiting your Judgement and prescribed punishment Stan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

What appear to be entries in the Start menu...are nothing but icons.

Sometimes they are not removed when the program is properly removed, but they can just be deleted from that menu, if you are sure that the program is not currently installed (reflected as empty when clicked).

Of course, any newly installed programs should properly be reflected in the Start menu.

Louis

#3 stankllim

stankllim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

Hi hamluis,
thanks for your quick response and I fully agree . However what my problem and interest is ,is to restore "life" into those icons , without
having to install the corresponding programs........while all of them figure **as installed ** in <All Programms> and the <Ccleaner list>.
The intrigueng thing is, I did not remove or cancel any programms , and therefore wonder why the ICONS are dead ,while the Programs
are listed **as installed**
Stan

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

My experience is...if clicking on them indicates that no program is associated with that shorcut...there is no program installed that is useable. AFAIK, the only way to bring such an icon to life is to install the program. A dead icon indicates a link that is no longer valid. I suppose that the programs may have been moved :thumbsup:, but I consider that unlikely.

If you want to verify what programs are actually installed in your system, you can go Start/Run...type msinfo32...click on Software Environment/Program Groups. Under the Group Name column should be listed all programs installed (not running) on your system, including various components of Windows.

There's another tool (3d-party program) which appears to do the same thing, in a different format, called Belarc Advisor, http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html Info should be under Software Versions.

Louis

#5 stankllim

stankllim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:44 PM

Hi hamluis,
thanks for your quick response and I fully agree . However what my problem and interest is ,is to restore "life" into those icons , without
having to install the corresponding programs........while all of them figure **as installed ** in <All Programms> and the <Ccleaner list>.
The intrigueng thing is, I did not remove or cancel any programms , and therefore wonder why the ICONS are dead ,while the Programs
are listed **as installed**
Stan

#6 stankllim

stankllim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hi Luis , sorry I have by mistake send my reply for the second time. Anyhow Ihave just checked < msinfo32 > as you advised and the programms
are there OK , same as in the <Software/ All Programms and Ccleaner list > Now , how are We, I mean myself ofcourse can resurect those programms?

STAN

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

If the programs are really installed and it's the Start menu that's off...I would just manually create a new shortcut on the menu.

I would create the shortcut by accessing each program executeable in the appropriate folder in C:/Prgoram Files...right-click and elect the Pin To Startup option.

Louis

#8 stankllim

stankllim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

OK ,Luis will try and let you know tomorrow , I have in the mean time checked< Belarc> and it proved positive.
thanks Stan

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users