Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pailea90

pailea90

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

Moms in Fl... says all the sudden her computer won't boot up, it acts as if it wants to boot, all the lights come on, such as the keyboard and all, but theres no video at all, then the computer shuts back down....

I'm a long way away, and at a loss as to what I should tell her, without looking at it myself.... and I'm no guru thats for sure, I'd probably try to see if it would boot from the disk, but I'd be lost after that!

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

No video?

First thing I would check would be the connection between monitor and system and the power cord.

The fact that the system shuts down would seem to indicate a PS problem, with no further info (IMO).

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

The easiest thing to do is to take it to a shop and see what they have to say (get a price quote also). Don't let them have the system for repair until she talks to you. If the repair doesn't sound right, post here and we'll give you our opinions on what else it could be.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 pailea90

pailea90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:35 AM

The easiest thing to do is to take it to a shop and see what they have to say (get a price quote also). Don't let them have the system for repair until she talks to you. If the repair doesn't sound right, post here and we'll give you our opinions on what else it could be.

Thanks for the advise, I'll tell her to do that, she said she went through all the cords and everything was plugged in tight, I was at a loss, was hoping maybe it was something easy, as she really doesn't have alot of money to get it fixed!

I'll post back when I know more! Thanks again!

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:02 PM

Have her look on the back of the computer, most dells have four little LEDs labeled ABCD. When she turns on the machine, what color are they? Yellow, Green or Mixed?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

When she takes it it, she's just gonna get an estimate. Depending on what's wrong, the repair could be easy enough to do from here. You can even coach her through downloading a Remote Assistance app that'll let you work on her computer in Florida from your house.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users