Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashed? Wondows Won't Load. Halp!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike84

Mike84

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

I have no idea what happened. There was a major storm last Wednesday and the power went out. I went to start my computer on Thurs. and walked away. I later went to use it and it seemed to be stuck in standby, so I rebooted it and it went to the "Windows did not shut down properly" screen, so I picked "start windows normally." It came to the main startup screen and the loading bar was going, then it went to black screen and stayed like that. I rebooted again and tried "Last known good configuration." Same problem. Safe mode: it loads a handful of the drivers, pauses at mvp.sys and then says "press Esc to cancel loading sptd.sys." If I press Esc the message goes away but nothing else happens, if I don't the message goes away on its own but does the exact same thing.

Every safe mode option does the same thing, I can't get to DOS, I don't know what to do.

Everything is on my computer. Anybody?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

Welcome to BC
Do you have an XP or recovery CD? The person on this forum had the same problem. Sptd.sys is used with Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120
http://forums.guru3d.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Mike84

Mike84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

I have neither. I am using my roommate's computer right now, if it's possible to make a recovery CD from his computer and use it to fix mine... that would be awesome.
Or... procure an XP CD from a ... store...

It would be best if I could repair my windows as opposed to reinstalling it completely and losing most of my programs.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:42 PM

Recovery CD's are for name-brand machines that do not come with an XP disk. They are specific to the make and model of the computer. If you can procure an XP disk, make sure it is the same as yours. i.e. Home or Pro. Some computers have a recovery partition. What is the make and model of your computer?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Mike84

Mike84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

It's a semi-custom job. A 4-year old Systemax with the AMD 64 and 2 year-old Abit motherboard.
I don't have a recovery partition, however most of the files I would be concerned about losing are split between a partition (D:)and external drive(G:).

Even if I did have a recovery partition, how would I be able to access it if the system locks up before anything has a chance to load?
I tried an MS-DOS startup disk, but I had to bump the floppy drive to the front of the boot-order because it wasn't working. So the only functionality I can get out of the computer is limited-function DOS with only A: and B: (which is strange since I only have one floppy drive) accessible.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

I only mentioned the partition because that's what's on some factory machine. You could try the Ultimate Boot Disk or a live Linux CD to locate, copy, and burn what you want to save
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users