Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Boxes Covering Links/ Windows Shrunk

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 schillachi2005

schillachi2005

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:17 PM

Hi all,

I've been having problems in XP for some time with my display...as the title states, in certain windows such as `Sharing and Security', the window appears to be too small to fit all the text in and the links are covered in navy blue boxes, making them unreadable. This also happens with any links posted on msn messenger too. The Win version is XP Pro and I have tried re-installing display drivers and monitor drivers etc to no avail. My friend seems to think its something to do with something messing up the windows' sizes?

Posted Image

Any help or solutions would be much appreciated! Thanks

Edited by schillachi2005, 22 October 2007 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

The first thing to try is to update the video card/onboard video driver. Have you been tweaking the monitor settings?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 schillachi2005

schillachi2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

I've tried updating the drivers as stated previously to no avail. A program messed all my settings up, altering the fonts etc and everything else I managed to correct other than this, so have tried altering the monitor settings and have contacted the manufacturer and they say this is a windows issue not a monitor issue.

thanks again

Edited by schillachi2005, 22 October 2007 - 02:45 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

Have you tried running chkdsk on the system?

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Checked for errors (that might give clues) in Event Viewer?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#5 schillachi2005

schillachi2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:25 AM

Hi Louis

I've ran checkdisk on both my drives, both are fine by the looks of it.

In the event viewer it mentions the below frequently.

Posted Image

If it isn't anything to do with this, is there some way i can resize those windows that are shrunken with the blue boxes? Is that the reason why they are like this, because they are too small??

Thanks again.

Rich

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:25 AM

I'd like to hear more about this program that wrecked your system. It appears to me that it possibly did things which may only be corrected by a repair install or a clean install. The files impacted seem to be system files.

First message seems to indicate a corrupt user profile, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318011

Have you run sfc /scannow?

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

And...is the system clean and O/S updated now?

What security programs (Firewall, AV, malware detection/prevention) are currently installed and current?

I found the link about corrupt profiles last, but that's the first line I would pursue :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 schillachi2005

schillachi2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

Hi,

Well the problem here is that the I have been having this issue with XP for well over a year as I have just returned from overseas for a year. I can't remember exactly what it was that caused these issues but I do remember having some font problems with Window Washer at the time and im not sure if the two are linked. It kept changing the font to cleartype, for example. That has been deleted from my computer.

I have created a new user profile as you suggested so hopefully that should have solved that issue, thanks for that, much appreciated. I have also run sfc/ scannow and there are no problems with that, so everything appears to be 100% ok apart from this ongoing problem now.

In terms of security - I'm running windows firewall, AVG antivirus, and have installed Spybot S&D earlier today. I used to also have JV Power Tools but have since removed that too.

Thanks again for your help

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:18 PM

I tried Windows Washer when it first came out and it was OK. I have read where the newer versions can wreck havoc with certain things. Just be careful what you delete with it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 schillachi2005

schillachi2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:15 PM

Like I say, the only problem i had with window washer was everytime it started up it changed my font settings - I'm not sure what program (if any) has altered my computer to what it is now...

#10 schillachi2005

schillachi2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:28 AM

Just a quick update to say I cleaned my registry up and deleted some files a number of programs had left behind and that has done the trick, so many thanks for your help and even though it just needed a simple clean i've learnt a lot from your suggestions and will no doubt use them in the future (well, hopefully not, you know what i mean!)

Rich

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

Nice going, thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users