Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Parksy

Parksy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

Hiya peeps, after some expert help again if i may!!

I have recently built my own pc ( athlon 64 4600 x2, 2 gb corseair, abit an-m2hd, 160 hd etc) but was curious about raid, should i have installed raid 0 or would that have been preloaded on the mobo??

any help would be great, sorry to sound like a total newbie lol

Cheers parksy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

With the except of rare situations, RAID 0 is generally a bad idea and your better of without it even if your motherboard supports it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Parksy

Parksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

so basically just format hd and install windows without any raid drivers?

Also i got 2x1gb ram, corsair, im able to adjust the timings in the bios, do you advice i do this??, when i checked dimm1 was at 105 and dimm 2,3 and 4 all at 75??

Cheers

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

For RAID drivers the situation is a little more complicated. The SATA and RAID drivers usually come in the same package, since it is the SATA controller on the motherboard which does the RAID as well. What complicates the situation even more is that Windows XP doesn't come with any SATA drivers at all, so to be able to install XP on a SATA drive you need to have separate SATA/RAID driver package and provide it to the setup during the windows installation. Windows Vista is better in this regard, and can work with many SATA controllers without any extra steps. What RAID does is spread out the data over several identical drives in a fashions, differing depending on the RAID level (RAID 0, RAID 1 or so forth). Actually setting up your hard drives in a RAID is not necessary to install windows or run the computer.

The first step would be to figure out if you are installing Windows on an SATA hard drive, and if you'll need third party drivers during the setup to get it working. Your motherboard has both SATA and IDE/PATA ports (here is a picture where the SATA ports are the small red and black ones, while IDE/PATA is the big long red one). What kind of hard driver are you going to install the OS on (SATA or IDE/PATA)? And for that matter, what OS?

The BIOS usually does a good job to set up the timings of the RAM by it self and unless you have problems with the computer (or want to overclock) your best bet is to leave them alone.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:35 PM

as Mr Aplha said, long story short, raid is messy

good when it works, but when it breaks, it really breaks

if you are going to use raid, i stronly suggest you use a Mirrored array(raid 1) oppose to a striped array(raid 0) for the simple fact that if one of those Hdds die, at least in a mirrored array you slot another one straight back in.

if your hdd dies in a striped array, you can rpetty much count your data gone(unless you are going to pay BIG dollars to the recovery professionals)

short story: i just upgraded my box. in my old box i used a striped array(sil3112). i had constant errors and nicompatabilities between my raid drivers, and pretty much anything you can think of. not to mention that the performance increase was barely noticeable.

my advice is play it safe - dont use raid. use the 2nd hdd as either a data or backup drive.

contrast to what Mr Aplha said - the latest xp pro(sp2c) seems pretty felxible when it comes to not-using-sata-drivers..good luck
=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users